PDA

View Full Version : Controlling tiny snail population?

GMGQ
03-29-2006, 07:17 PM
So I've been noticing that my tank is having an 'outbreak' of those tiny snails (about 1-2mm in diameter). I understand that they're relatively harmless, but I'm concerned that they'll get into the plumbing and other unwanted areas.

Is there any natural predator that will help to keep this snail population under control? Thanks!

seashells
03-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Sixline Wrasse will eat them.

GMGQ
03-29-2006, 09:11 PM
I have a Fourline Wrasse, and he doesnt seem to show much interest in those tiny snails. It's constantly zipping around and pecking at stuff, but I've never seen it peck at the snails.

I thought they were basically the same? Or are Sixlines noteable snail eaters?

Sixline Wrasse will eat them.

Jaws
03-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Are they tiny white snails riding along on the shells of other snails? If so, they are a parasite from what I've heard and will kill your snails.

GMGQ
03-29-2006, 09:36 PM
No, not white. They look like miniature garden snails, various coloured, spiral shelled snails.

Are they tiny white snails riding along on the shells of other snails? If so, they are a parasite from what I've heard and will kill your snails.

Quagmire
03-30-2006, 03:27 AM
When I was over run with those small snails,I just picked them off the glass when the tank lights were off.I would take about 10-20 out at a time.Only took a few days to get the population down.