PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know If Golds in Calgary Still Has Cheap Live Rock

Cam
03-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I Was Wondering if Anyone know if Golds still has a good price for live rock. Im from edmonton and will be going to calgary this weekend anyways so if anyone knows the best place in Calgary or even in edmonton i would appreciate the tip, im looking for about 20lbs. Thanks

Black Phantom
03-29-2006, 02:36 PM
I was there last week and they had a big tank full for about $4.99 a pound.

fishmanty
03-29-2006, 06:54 PM
7.99 I believe is what it is now... full to the top

rudy
03-29-2006, 06:56 PM
It is that man made stuff that they put on a reef for 6 months. Pretty cool actually.

Pan
03-29-2006, 07:05 PM
there are reefs in calgary?!
heh

anyways...what is it made out of? what kind of rock is it...if you know...and is 6 months really long enough? the harvested live rock in florida sits there for years.

allincuddy
03-29-2006, 08:44 PM
I am pretty sure it is Fiji rock, not man made stuff, I have some in my tank, looks great.
Mark

G1GY
03-29-2006, 11:30 PM
It's man made. :)

allincuddy
03-30-2006, 02:34 AM
really, I sure was fooled then, it looks great.Mark

Pan
03-30-2006, 04:08 AM
It's man made. :)

isn't it technically man-seeded...that just opens up a whole new dimension

G1GY
03-30-2006, 07:26 PM
isn't it technically man-seeded...that just opens up a whole new dimension

Probably not since it was put in the ocean after being made.(To be seeded.)

I've never heard of "man-seeded" live rock before.

Can you tell me how this man seeds the rocks?

On second thought............ I don't need to know this. :razz:

adidas
03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
if it's man made then 4.99/pound isn't such a hot deal.

G1GY
03-30-2006, 07:53 PM
if it's man made then 4.99/pound isn't such a hot deal.

Please explain then, how man made/ocean cured rock is inferior to actual reef rock?

Is it because it is very pouris compared to most reef rock?

Maybe it's because all of the shapes that are available?

As a matter of fact......
If you seen a reef aquarium that was loaded with this stuff, you would be hard pressed to figure out what kind of rock it is. (Nevermind figuring out if it was man made or pillaged from a reef.)

albert_dao
03-30-2006, 07:56 PM
It's actually $7.99/lb and, IMO, is very nice. The porosity is comparable to really nice Indonesian rock. The colors aren't so bad either. Weight on the stuff is better than average due the increased porosity.

dunl
03-31-2006, 01:28 AM
So Albert, shed some light - natural, man-made, or man-seeded?

Thanks,
Dunl

adidas
03-31-2006, 02:29 AM
Please explain then, how man made/ocean cured rock is inferior to actual reef rock?

If you seen a reef aquarium that was loaded with this stuff, you would be hard pressed to figure out what kind of rock it is. (Nevermind figuring out if it was man made or pillaged from a reef.)

Well when I think of man made I think of that oyster shell/concrete rock.. I have some man made stuff and its solid, not pouris at all and it looks crappy.

if you guys mean its dead rock put into the ocean to be seeded, than thats different IMO as it's still natural rock.

allincuddy
03-31-2006, 05:22 AM
This rock, (I don't think I am wrong) is dead reef rock, that is a natural rock or dead coral from a previous reef that has either died or taken out of the water (harvested). It is then stored until it is needed, and placed on a live reef for min. 6 months, to get it alive again. It is in my tank and I can't tell the difference, beit I am not very experienced but? I would actually prefer to buy this rock in the dead form and seed it myself (I know what your thinking and stop) in my reef, especially if it could be offered at a lower price as shipping would be lower, and if the savings was past on to the consumer, it would be my first choice.
Just my opinion but I think it is great rock.
Thanks for reading.

dunl
03-31-2006, 05:42 AM
I think I remember seeing it, and it certainly didn't look man-made.

Pan
03-31-2006, 09:32 AM

look at tampa bay saltwater....they have a video on "cultured" liverock....quite informative...
krikee let me post it...
http://tampabaysaltwater.com/
was going to post video directly...but i'll let people choose broadband or dialup....
i would prefer to use aquacultured rock if i could...in fact the more "cultured" and the less "wild" the better

my ony gripe was the 6 months to "grow" most places usually do it for a couple years at least