PDA

View Full Version : Ca Deposits & Float Valve

Johnny Reefer
03-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Not sure whether to ask this in "Reef" or "DIY".:confused:

Anyhoo....I finally have my Ca up to 385ppm.
I plan to now maintain this using SeaChem Reef Advantage Ca.
Ideally, I wish to do this by dosing Ca to my auto top-off water.

My concern is that the float valve will become compromised by Ca deposits (read: get stuck open) and potentially cause a flood from the sump overfilling with top-off water.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is doing anything similar and how it's working out for you?

The float valve I am using is a simple Laguna(Hagen) gravity valve. Similar to the Kent model. (No electricity. No solenoids. No switches.)

Thanx much and cheers:smile:,

Aquattro
03-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Mark, when I topped off with kalk using a Kent valve, I would have to clean the assembly twice a year, give or take. As long as you inspect the valve every month for build up, you'll be fine.

Willow
03-27-2006, 11:59 PM
not sure about the hagan brand float but the kent one i use fails in the off position so no worries. it does get plugged all the time so you will need to be able to revove it for a soak in vinegar.

StirCrazy
03-28-2006, 12:59 AM
not sure about the hagan brand float but the kent one i use fails in the off position so no worries. it does get plugged all the time so you will need to be able to revove it for a soak in vinegar.

that would be a pain and a little over kill. every couple months I just work it by hand and knock off the deposits. it has a rubber ring that nothing really sticks to so once you break it free of the plastic it is pretty much clean. Oh and the Kent one is also what I use and some times it fails off and sometimes open.. so your lucky is all it is.

Steve

Johnny Reefer
03-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Thanx guys. I'll keep a close watch on it.

Cheers:smile:,