PDA

View Full Version : Solid Epoxy for corals = Over active skimmer?

b_james
03-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with the solid epoxy used for attaching corals/rocks triggering their skimmer to overflow with wet foam? :cry: If so how long should this last?

Jason McK
03-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Ya it happens very often. It has go on for 2 days for me.

I was able just to drop the water level in the skimmer for the 2 days

J

b_james
03-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Well it looks like my skimmer is finally settling down to more reasonable levels... :smile:

atcguy
03-28-2006, 04:55 PM
My euroreef is unstoppable when I use epoxy. 7 days plus to slow it down. If the riser pipe is even installed at lowest level it still spills over the cup. I have found a fresh bag of carbon in high flow area of sump will resolve the problem but so far 7 days the last few times!!!!! Does anyone use super glue Gel underwater wth success??

OCDP
03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Superglue works.. it's just a PITA, and it's messy. Usually, you take the frag and rock out, place a generous dab on the rock, place the frag. Hold in place for a few seconds, then place it back under water (still applying pressure) It will bond then.

It's messy though.. at least IME, and quite the pain!

Johnny Reefer
03-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Superglue works.. it's just a PITA, and it's messy. Usually, you take the frag and rock out, place a generous dab on the rock, place the frag. Hold in place for a few seconds, then place it back under water (still applying pressure) It will bond then.

It's messy though.. at least IME, and quite the pain! But does it cause the skimmer to go out of control?
I think that is part of, if not his main, question. (IMHO).

Cheers:smile:,

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-28-2006, 05:27 PM
I usually let the glue dry for a few minutes before adding the frag back into the tank. If you've ever seen pics of reefs in the tropics at low tide, being out of the water for a few minutes will not hurt most corals, especially if they're happy & growing well enough to frag. I've done this with digitatas, zoos especially.

Anthony

OCDP
03-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Oops, my bad. To answer the question, no. I have not had my skimmer go nuts from using Superglue.

atcguy
03-28-2006, 07:42 PM
cant remove my rock easily, So my question is I heard you can apply lots to the frag dip in water this film of water will harden the glue , wait a minute and put in tank and glue to any rockwork, Basically does anyone have sucess glueing without taking the rock out of the water? thanks

OCDP
03-28-2006, 08:02 PM
I dunno about that one. I think you would have to be very fast.... fast in terms of , place the glue, and place the frag in spot very fast, otherwise the glue will harden and it wont work.

Actually, I have tried this, and no.. it doesn't really work. Unless your speed racer, the glue just goes all funky when it hits water.

Psyire
03-28-2006, 09:50 PM
I've done it a few times with success, and a few times with failure...