PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a huge arrow crab

b_james
03-27-2006, 09:27 PM
just picked up a large arrow crab (about 6-8" diameter larger if he spreads his legs out). He looks like hes doing a better job removing hair algea than my sea hair. This guy is grabbing chunks of this stuff and eating it. However... i think hes freaking out the smaller crabs. Watching him crawl over the rock reminds me of War of the Worlds:mrgreen:

Beverly
03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Wow! I didn't know they grew that large :eek: Are you sure it's an arrow crab? If it is, I'd be worried about this guy. Arrow crabs can be very good predators.

b_james
03-27-2006, 10:40 PM
And I have read that they are generally peacefull with the exception that if you keep two you will need a fairly large tank as they may be aggressive towards their own kind. However, I was watching him trying desparatly to pull a small blue legged hermit from his shell - at that point I was starting to get concerned. After about 30min he gave up and the hermit went back to work cleaning my rock. I was relieved at that point. I have been watching him since.

This is definatly a arrow crab - exact same as the smaller but this guy is huge. If you were to spread his legs out flat, he would probably be about 10" wide. His pointy head is about 2-3" long. maybe he's a freak:biggrin:

adidas
03-28-2006, 03:16 AM
post a pic! sounds awesome.