PDA

View Full Version : where to buy salt and sand?

spikehs
03-27-2006, 02:34 PM
i was just wondering where the cheapest place (locally) is to buy salt and sand? I am looking to get 1 bucket of reef crystals, and about 100 pounds of sand. What would the prices be? Thanks.

SJSobczyk
03-27-2006, 02:37 PM
What kind of salt do you use?

Are you interested in live sand or dry?

Steve

spikehs
03-27-2006, 02:50 PM
I was looking for dry sand (the sugar sized type) and I was looking for Reef Crystals or Instant Ocean. preferably Reef Crystals

SJSobczyk
03-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I would go to Golds for both of those. Best pricing as far i can see.

If you need to know their address let me know.

Steve

Bob I
03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Ocean has the 160 gallon buckets of I.O for $59.95. :mrgreen:

Ruth
03-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Do a search on here or elsewhere to see the recent issues that Kent has had with their Reef Crystals salt mix. Might make you re-think your decision. I think that the vast majority of people who use Instant Ocean are satisfied with it and it is by a long shot the most widely used salt in the industry. I don't use either brand but just thought I would at my 2 pennies.

muck
03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Reef Crystals is not a Kent Product. It is made by the same company that makes Instant Ocean Salt.
I think you are thinking of the Kent Salt Ruth. (Yes its just called Kent Salt :wink:)

Ruth
03-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Well my bad then because I always thought that Reef Crystals was a Kent product - maybe because Kent and IO used to get manufactured in the same place.
I was one of the (un)fortunate ones a few years back that got the bad IO salt and completely crashed both of my tanks so I will never use it again.
Sorry for the confustion.
For the record I use the Tropic Marin Pro salt and the Seachem Reef salt and am happy with both.