PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Jason McK
03-27-2006, 04:10 AM
Not to bash Canreef or anything, I spend hours on this site.

But, is there anyway we as a community, can stimulate discussions on furthering all of our knowledge in keeping our Reefs healthy and happy.
Canreef should be more than a Buy and Sell

Could we open a product review forum (Not LFS)
open topics on PH, Ca, ALK control
lighting pros and cons of high K or lower K
New products such as polyp lab tests
so on and so on.

Is there any interest out there to read Canreef or do we just want to bid on Frags and pumps

Jason

G1GY
03-27-2006, 04:30 AM
?

untamed
03-27-2006, 04:30 AM
I'm not sure...There are so many forums to keep on top of, I don't look to Canreef for that kind of stuff. I like it for it's Canadian content and perspectives. Of course, the regional forums are also important.

StirCrazy
03-27-2006, 04:42 AM
I'm not sure...There are so many forums to keep on top of, I don't look to Canreef for that kind of stuff. I like it for it's Canadian content and perspectives. Of course, the regional forums are also important.

Ah, but if Canreef become a buy and sell board why have anything else.. I think there is no reason Canreef cannot also be a good source of info for reefers also. 3 years back the buy and sell was the least used forum where the reef and DIY were always busy..

I think there is a valid point made by this thread and I have posted two new threads to try do something about it.

Steve

Jason McK
03-27-2006, 06:10 AM
Thanks Steve

We all know there are some very advanced and successful Reef keepers locally. Why should they contribute to a forum were you can't even search for something without spending $24.00US a month.
J

midgetwaiter
03-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks Steve

We all know there are some very advanced and successful Reef keepers locally. Why should they contribute to a forum were you can't even search for something without spending $24.00US a month.
J

This is the other thing that is nice about product review forums, when somebody has an issue with something somebody else can jump in and explain it. :)

Most forum software was never designed to handle the traffic that Reef Central gets. Searching is tricky from a programming point of view, unless you build it right it can consume massive amounts of resources. The software Reef Central runs was never built to handle this.

As I understand it, the subscription money goes to buy hardware for the site, so there is a good reason for it. I agree that it is a bit much $ though.

danny zubot
03-27-2006, 06:23 PM
What is it you need to know about the topics you listed above. Lets get a discussion going!

I for one wouldn't mind knowing why some of my SPS (caps and digi) are doing great while other acros are kind of blaw. They have great polp extension but don't color up as nice as they should.

Ca=380-420 on average
ALk= 2.5-3.5 Meq/L sometimes it dips to 2.0
MG=unknown, can't get a test kit in Calgary. Just add a squirt weekly
Lighting=400 watts, 14K
Temp=81-82C
PH=8.1-8.2 average during day
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/3214dannyzubot/Reef%20pics/IMGP0030.jpg
This Prostrata should have blue tips