PDA

View Full Version : Wai's going down hill?

DiscusZ
03-26-2006, 03:47 PM
I was at Wai's yesterday as I was itching to buy some corals, so the family went for a trek (I am near Spruce Meadows) we hit peters for Lunch, then hit Wai's. WOW has it changed there the corals did not look like the normally do.

Also he has such an outbreak of Aptasia it isnt even funny Some of them had heads that were larger than a toonie, pretty much every rock I saw had some

Its sad when there is only a few SW stores in the city and really only 1 that is worth hitting (not going to mention names) That has reasonably priced corals

I can see more person to person trading/selling

I will get off my soapbox now.

Jim

Skimmer Juice
03-26-2006, 05:33 PM
dont agree I was also just there I think his coral tanks look really good.I did notice a few giant aptasia but still they are so hard to control.I just hate his prices.2 high that is why I go there and just look.Might buy a hermit crab when im there.

richtg
03-26-2006, 05:34 PM
I have never had any aptasia, but I understand that it would be a major undertaking for a small lfs (with huge turnover) to prevent an outbreak of something or other. I think most of us know that Danny tries really hard to keep his tanks clean and healthy, and wants to sell good products.

Yes, I am defending him, and I will continue to shop there. Just know what you're buying, and inspect it first. Quarantine if need be. I have never been to a store and not found something undesirable in one tank or annother.

I'm not picking on you, Jim, but I think we should be a little more understanding of the efforts such a one-man operation puts forth.

Deathstar
03-26-2006, 05:49 PM
I was there yesterday and I picked up a few fish. They are doing good. Wai's is a great store.

Eric

Aquattro
03-26-2006, 11:31 PM
This almost looks like one of those vendor ratings threads we don't allow.....

G1GY
03-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Reefers are a very loyal bunch when they like who they're dealing with!

:)

Cazoom
03-27-2006, 04:04 AM
i'm here in Calgary for next few week...checked out Wai's and Gold's... as thats all you guys mention in forumns.....prices are high but.. hey i'm form Regina... you ain't seen nothin...and at least you have selection....
if anyone is fragging let me know as i am really interested in some frags as i run back to Regina everyweekend......

danny zubot
03-27-2006, 06:04 PM
interested in some frags as i run back to Regina everyweekend......

PM me or richtg for frag availability.

bulletsworld
03-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Yeah Wai's seems over priced to you Calgarian's (compared to Gold's or Ocean's) but in Edmonton those prices at Wai's are standard or even a bit cheaper than here in Edmonton.

I have found that Wai's carries a lot of fish and inverts that you don’t typically see in other stores in both Calgary & Edmonton. Over the years I have picked up & brought back some nice species from Wai's, that I still own to this day.

Also here is a tip when shopping at Wai's... Don't be afraid to barter the price, he is flexible if he knows your serious buyer. I am always able to talk the owner down in price by anywhere from $5- $15 dollars over the years. Then again...Hopefully its not only cause I'm a girl. :lol:

AndyL
03-29-2006, 11:57 PM
No... it's because your a girl ;)

BMW Rider
03-30-2006, 01:38 AM
I was in there yesterday and thought it looked about normal. Most of the stock looked healthy and the tanks were decently clean. His sps tank was a bit rough looking though, many of the colonies didn't look very good.