PDA

View Full Version : What else should I add to my tank?

Palster
03-26-2006, 04:59 AM
I have a 90 gallon and a sump with approx 90 lbs of live rock under 260 watts of power compact lighting. The tank has been running for approximately 3 months and water parameters are stable. The fish I currently have are:
1 Sunrise Dottyback
1 Maroon Clown
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Falco Hawkfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Foxface

I would like to add one more flashy show type fish that is not too aggresive and relatively easy to keep as I am somewhat new to the hobby. I was thinking along the lines of some type of Tang that wont be too big for the 90. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sushiman
03-26-2006, 05:03 AM
What about a shoal of blue/green chromis instead? Schooling fish can set a display on fire.

Palster
03-26-2006, 03:49 PM
I never thought of adding schooling/shoaling fish. I used to have a couple of Yellow Chromis but don't think I have ever seen a school of Blue/Green Chromis. I would love to see a picture of these fish in a community aquarium. Anybody else have any other ideas?

Ruth
03-26-2006, 04:37 PM
You already have 2 fish in there that can get quite large: The maroon clown and the foxface so you want to bear that in mind. I have 2 maroon clowns in different tanks and they are a very agressive fish - I really like them but that is something else to keep in mind when adding another fish. That said I think you still have room for one more large fish and my suggestion would be some kind of tang. The Regal or Hippo tangs are nice and at least mine is always out and swimming as is my Yellow tang. Both very vibrant and colourful. HTH

Palster
03-27-2006, 12:19 AM
I have heard that Regal Tangs can be quite delicate and I have also heard that they are very prone to Ich (I was told this by one of the LFS). I am not sure if this is specific to this particular species or Tangs in general. A lot of online fish retailers list the Regal Tang as easy to keep so I am not sure.

Ruth
03-27-2006, 12:44 AM
All tangs are prone to Ich so it is important to quarentine - not only Tangs but any new fish you plan on introducing to your display. IMO the 2 Tangs that are the "most" prone to Ich are the Powder Blue and the Achilles. I really really wanted an Achilles when I set up my 190 but between not being able to find a healthy one and the almost guarantee of Ich I went with a Blonde Naso instead. I have a Yellow and and Regal/Hippo in my 230 and - knocking furiosly on wooden head - I have never experienced Ich on any of them.

Palster
03-27-2006, 01:33 AM
All tangs are prone to Ich so it is important to quarentine - not only Tangs but any new fish you plan on introducing to your display. IMO the 2 Tangs that are the "most" prone to Ich are the Powder Blue and the Achilles. I really really wanted an Achilles when I set up my 190 but between not being able to find a healthy one and the almost guarantee of Ich I went with a Blonde Naso instead. I have a Yellow and and Regal/Hippo in my 230 and - knocking furiosly on wooden head - I have never experienced Ich on any of them.
So I understand that Tangs are prone to Ich and more so Powder Blues and Achilles which goes along with everything I have heard. In your opinion (I understand this may differ from person to person) what would be considered the more hardy species of Tangs and the least prone to Ich. Can I assume from your recomendation that it would be the Regal and Yellow Tangs. Also would a Naso Tang get too large for a 90 gallon tank? Now that the Saltwater bug has bitten me I am currently in the process of liquidating all the Cichlids from my 135 gallon so that I can change it over to Saltwater.

Ruth
03-27-2006, 01:58 AM
IMO/IME the Yellow Tang is probably the least prone to Ich. I know that these are a common fish but again IMO they are a great reef fish. They are vibrantly coloured, are not usually shy (mine will eat out of my hand) and that flash of yellow in your display is so nice. The only drawback is they can be quite agressive so probably best to be one of the last fish you add. Naso Tangs get huge! The one I have is probably at least 10inches without his streamer tail fins. They are a great fish but IMO it will get too big for you tank. Mine is also a picky eater - the only things he will accept is Nori (only on a clip or magnet) and the evil grape calerpa that I have growing in one of my Nano tanks and that is IT - no flake, pellet, or frozen meaty foods. In my 190g I have this Tang, a large Moorish Idol, a medium Maroon Clown and 2 firefish and I think I am just about at my limit for fish although I may add a school of anthias - not sure yet.

Palster
03-27-2006, 04:51 PM
One final question. My LFS has a Purple Tang that is presently being quarantined and treated for a (so far) minor outbreak of Ich (it is not for sale untill it has fully recovered). This is a beautiful fish that I am also considering. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this fish would do in a 90 gallon tank. I do realize that all Tangs are prone to Ich but I would be willing to give it a try if it stood a good chance of doing well in my tank. The LFS seems to do a good job of treating fish and not selling unhealthy specimens untill they are in good health and eating well, so they won't sell the Purple Tang untill it appears healthy. I would of course quarantine the fish as I already have a quarantine tank setup.

Johnny Reefer
03-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Personally, I think you have enough in the 90 already. I'd hold off on a Tang until you get the 135g converted. JMO.

Cheers:smile:,

TheReefGeek
03-27-2006, 08:35 PM
If you get the purple tang from the store when it has "recovered" you are still introducing ich into you tank likely, so I would stay away from it entirely. Or QT for a long time before adding to your setup.

What about a couple lyretail anthias? Or a fairy wrasse? They are colorfull and non-aggresive fish.