PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater

rollingstones420
03-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone. I'm new to the whole saltwater. I've always been a freshwater fan, and have 4 tanks but decided to give saltwater a shot. I am hoping to set up a 20-30 gallon with live rock and a reef lobster. Any and all advise is welcome. Thanks!

Taylor.

Sushiman
03-26-2006, 02:09 AM
Welcome aboard! Lobster's are fun & have the additional bonus of being yummy too. They are ruthless killers however so do expect much of anything to survive with him though. if you like the species tank thing, take a look at Mantis shrimp, IMHO much more interesting, very EVIL!!!!
For a lobster set-up I would think a GOOD skimmer, ie; Euro-reef, Deltec, Aqua-c....$$$$ well spent down the road.
Liberal use of carbon, high H2O turn over, basic lighting & a varied meaty diet. Try a PVC cave hidden under the sand & live rock. Research FOWLR set-ups.

rollingstones420
03-26-2006, 03:08 AM
Mantis shrimp... are they the ones that crack fish in the head with that spike? I got the lobster idea because big als just got a shipment and J&L has one, so I'm not impartial to other suggestions. I'm currently reading "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" for the basics of marine fishkeeping. I do like species tanks. I have a couple of piranha species tanks. The guys at J&L said fast fish could survive a reef lobster so would they be talking about fish like some chromis or damsel fish? Thanks.

Ruth
03-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Welcome to Canreef and the wonderful, frustrating, rewarding, infuriating, you get the picture.
Please post if you have any questions that we can help you out with.
As far as the lobster, I have never tried one and probably won't based on the little I have read about them. They get big and they eat lots! I will be getting a Mantis Shrimp, if I can ever find the kind I want and I think that is a predatory as I want to get. I just got tagged by my pistol shrimp today and it felt like an electric shock so cant imagine what something bigger would feel like.

Deathstar
03-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Here is a link to info on the lobster, I was going to get one untill I found out that it likes to bulldozer your tank and move your frags around.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23113&highlight=lobster

Eric

Sushiman
03-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Fast fish sleep too...enter nocturnal hunter Mr. Lobster...CHOMP!
It's a "when" not "if" situation.

rollingstones420
03-26-2006, 07:22 AM
That picture didn't look much like the lobster I saw at the store. The one I saw had much bigger pinchers and lacked the purple. It doesn't really sound like it either. The one I saw was out and walking around and it was like 1 pm. Maybe a different kind of reef lobster? I'm sure it's a common name thats thrown around alot. And about the mantis shrimp. Where might I find one?

Deathstar
03-26-2006, 02:16 PM
That picture didn't look much like the lobster I saw at the store. The one I saw had much bigger pinchers and lacked the purple. It doesn't really sound like it either. The one I saw was out and walking around and it was like 1 pm. Maybe a different kind of reef lobster? I'm sure it's a common name thats thrown around alot. And about the mantis shrimp. Where might I find one?

Here is a link to the most conmmon ones I am sure there are still others someone has in there tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=506

I hope this helps,

Eric

rollingstones420
03-27-2006, 05:18 AM
Its defenetly the red hawaiian lobster. I don't really want to get something that will hide all day though. Are Mantis shrimp more active during the day? Thanks for all the help.