PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead placement / aim

Kryten
03-24-2006, 06:22 PM
So I've been trying to figure out how to place and aim my powerheads for the best flow without blowing sand all over the place. My current setup in my approx 30" x 12" x 15"tall tank is one ph running constant, and 2 others alternating off of a Natural Wave timer. Anyone have any tips for getting some decent 'wave' action and ensuring as few dead spots as possible?

TheReefGeek
03-24-2006, 06:45 PM
If you have 3, I would do:

One across the back wall of the tank. One in a bottom (say left) corner pointing up and to the middle of the tank for surface agitation. Last one in the opposite (right) corner or where convenient, intersecting the flow from the one pointing to the surface for some random turbulence. I would put the one on the back and the one on the right on the timer so that you always have surface agitation.

mark
03-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Like Reefgeek said, opposite ends point to converge front center, and one across back.

On my 75 had one MJ1200 sort of placed on the back corner second MJ1200 in the other corner, with both pointing about front center (had third PH about some volume dumping back from skimmer). Had good, random turbulent flow though tank with surface agitation.

Might be repeating the myth but consider skipping the timer, hear they're hard on powerheads and anyways, with all PHs running at same time you'll get more overall flow. With them pointing together it will break up the laminar flow.

G1GY
03-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Might be repeating the myth but consider skipping the timer, hear they're hard on powerheads

I think that it depends on what powerheads you're using on the timer.