PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Chiller

Jaws
03-24-2006, 02:57 AM
I have a Pacific Coast 1/4 hp chiller that has done a great job keeping the temperature between 77 and 80 for 4 or 5 months now. Tonight I noticed that it appears to be on all the time and the temperature won't drop below 81. It isn't rising above 81 but won't drop below it either. I checked the settings and even tried lowering the set temperature to 75 instead of 77. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but nothing there either. Any idea why this might be?

Bryan
03-24-2006, 03:02 AM
More than likely a leak and the refrigerant has escaped.

golden69_ca
03-24-2006, 03:11 AM
check and clean the condenser first befor you start looking for a refrigeration guy to come check for leaks , we are usualy not cheep.

Jaws
03-24-2006, 04:53 AM
I don't have much of a background in refrigeration. Where would I find the condenser?

StirCrazy
03-24-2006, 04:58 AM
I don't have much of a background in refrigeration. Where would I find the condenser?

the finned thing that looks like a radiator. clean it with a soft paintbrush so you don't dammage the fine.. oh the canded air that you use to ckean computers will work good to blow it clear as your brushing.

Steve

StirCrazy
03-24-2006, 04:59 AM
check and clean the condenser first befor you start looking for a refrigeration guy to come check for leaks , we are usualy not cheep.

what you don't have a special 10.00/hour rate for canreef members :mrgreen:

I am still debating if I want to finnish my ticket.. got other plans on the go now... oh well

Steve

G1GY
03-24-2006, 05:00 AM
You'll probably find it right behind the front grill in front of the heat exchanger. :)

Bryan
03-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Does one of the copper lines to the evaporator (the plastic barrel) get very cold?. If not it's a pretty good sign that something is wrong with the chiller

Willow
03-24-2006, 07:29 AM
take a vacume to the radiator looking thing to make sure there is no dust in there.

Tangman
03-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Check the air filter behind the front air intake, it usually needs to be cleaned every 2 months or so...but if you have tried a lower setting and it didn't shut off , it could be the thermostat ( it is the cheapest part of the unit) or an over heating condition, how long did you have it unplugged? if it was over heating ( from the air filter being plugged)unplugging and just replugging it back in ,would not give it enough time to cool down

golden69_ca
03-24-2006, 05:55 PM
post a pic and i can walk you thought the proper way of cleaning it . stircrazy you are crazy to not finish your ticked we are at over 4x the canreef special per hour :)