PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics

adidas
03-23-2006, 07:37 PM
anyone have some extra antibiotics? my fish have some sort of infection.

muck
03-23-2006, 07:45 PM
can you ID what it is so we can help you figure out how to treat?

adidas
03-23-2006, 07:57 PM
i'm searching now for an id. My clown has a cloudy eye, my lions eyes are cloudy as of this morning. my tangs and clowns are twitching and using the cleaner shrimp like crazy. There are no signs of ick. i have 0.1 amonia, will test for nitrates/nitrates.

All my corals are doing amazing, same for all inverts so I don't think it's water quality issue (exept the .1 amonia). Its an established system. (1 year).

i have crabs
03-23-2006, 09:34 PM
paraguard works well on bacterial infections and seachem has a few good products also,all reef safe im shure.

adidas
03-23-2006, 09:35 PM
ok thanks. i'll look for something at golds tomorrow.

Beverly
03-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I'd be concerned about the .1 ppm ammonia. In a year old tank, you shouldn't have any ammonia. What do you think is causing the it? I would fix the ammonia problem and see what happens to the fish in healthy water.

adidas
03-23-2006, 10:32 PM
I'd be concerned about the .1 ppm ammonia. In a year old tank, you shouldn't have any ammonia. What do you think is causing the it? I would fix the ammonia problem and see what happens to the fish in healthy water.

I just moved the tank and had a tiny spike, it was at almost 0.3 but we've been doing lots of water changes, the test was either 0 - .1 hard to tell. Did another change last night, i bet the amonia is 0 now.

steve-s
03-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Keep doing the water changes, you'll find that most of the issue will be the water parameters. Don't be afraid to do larger than normal/more frequent, just be sure you mix up the new SW a day ahead and it's mixed for a good 24 hrs first.

With a recent move, you'll probably have released alot of DOC/bacteria into the water column. The fish are most likely stressed and their immune systems lowered some. It opens the door to opportunistic bacterial infections but if the DOC is reduced (water changes/heavy wet skimming), the problem will usually abate on it's own.

If it doesn't abate or gets worse, you may need to treat but I would not use PARA. In a seperate QT, treat with Maracyn II for SW at 2mg/gal added each day for 7 full days. Do a 25% water change in the QT prior to each new dose. With enough water changes, I seriously doubt you will need to though.

Cheers
Steve

adidas
03-23-2006, 10:57 PM
been doing tons o water changes, its damn expensive, went through a bucket and a half of salt in 2 weeks!!!

thx for advice guys, i hope my lion survives, he is my favorite.

adidas
03-23-2006, 11:16 PM
another symptom i've noticed is the clown and lion are sitting at the bottom not swimming much.

steve-s
03-23-2006, 11:36 PM
another symptom i've noticed is the clown and lion are sitting at the bottom not swimming much.
If the ammonia shot up innitially while you were trying to get it under control, hyperplasia could be an issue. Really depends on how high the ammonia got though. An established biofilter should have quickly dealt with that but depending on what was moved/disturbed in the process, the biofilter could have been overloaded. You also have to be wary of higher pH values while ammonia is present. The higher the pH, the more toxic the ammonia (NH3-) becomes.

As a quick fix, I would suggest adding a dechlor to the tank. Something like Prime would help. Better still would be Kent's Pro Tech Marine or Seachems Stressguard, just watch the skimmer.

I know the water changes are a tough route but they really are the best solution. Well aged and aerated being the key though. Newly mixed salt will just add to your problems at this point.

Cheers
Steve

adidas
03-23-2006, 11:56 PM
yup using Prime as well.