PDA

View Full Version : Extending power cords

lastlight
03-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Hello,

I need to extend the power cords on my EVC mh balast (to the mogul socket) and on 2 Seios.

I picked up some wire from HD but later realized it didn't have a third ground wire. I'm not a whiz with electricity but I'm guessing it's important especially with all the water nearby. Should i redo it all with the proper grounded wire? I wired all 3 up without ground and they work. I'm just a little nervous is all.

As well, with the ballast...would it be better to just open it up and directly connect a new and longer power cord into it's guts? Any problems with opening these things up?

Lastly, the ground wire is to be mounted to the reflector correct? I read this somewhere on RC.

Thanks,

Brett

Kabong
03-23-2006, 06:20 PM
The groud wire isnt important... Until something goes wrong :wink:
In other words yeah you should re wire it.

The cheap easy way is just go and buy a extension cord the length you need and cut off the feamle end, strip the wires and use that.

I cant say ive ever taken one apart myself,
But im guessing it probally has resistors and such inside that hold a charge even after its unplugged. So unless you have a volt meter or a test light I cant really suggest you open the ballast.