PDA

View Full Version : Lost A Cleaner Shrimp

Aquaholic
03-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Yesterday one of my cleaner shrimp wasn't acting like him/herself (kinda tucked away and not doing much) I didn't think much of it, but this morning I found the little thing upsidedown and in the sand. I took a look at the shrimp and nothing seemed to be wrong, I'm thinking my new anemone is the culprate (maybe got stung). All my other stuff is doing really well all the corals are growing and all the fish are happy and swiming around, guess thats why im not too worried.

anyone had the same problem?

Thanks

Aquattro
03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
It's possible that's just the molt. See if there is any shrimp inside that shrimp.

Beverly
03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
My cleaner shrimp hide just before and after molting. Are you sure you examined the shrimp and not the molt? The first time I saw the molt from my cleaner, I thought it was dead too.

Aquaholic
03-23-2006, 02:46 PM
I've seen my cleaner shrimps molts (they have molted about 3 time each now) and it wasn't a molt he was dead as a door nail.

Beverly
03-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Sorry to hear it. Don't have any ideas about why it died. Have two cleaners in with my RBTA. They don't go near the RBTA much, either because of the aggressive tomatoes in it, or if they are afraid of becoming lunch.

OCDP
03-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Any changes in SG? That'll do it for those guys. How about any other changes in water paramaters? Anyhow, not that it really matters now. Sorry to hear.

TheReefGeek
03-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I have kept lots of shrimp with anemonies, including a carpet and there was no problems.

Did you measure all your tank parameters after you found the dead shrimp?

Was the shrimp full size when you got it? (could have been old age?)

Aquaholic
03-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Possably could have been old age, he was pretty freakin huge, How long do they live for?

Delphinus
03-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately, not very long. The longest I've ever had one live was maybe 3 years I think (maybe just under), but most seem to last me around 2 years. And another thing to consider, there's no telling how old they are when you buy them.

TheReefGeek
03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I always try to buy small ones so I know they are pretty young and are going to last at least 1 year, hopefully 2 or more.

Aquaholic
03-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Well i hope my other one doesn't kick off soon to.

I got them from JL and they were fairly large, and I've had them for about 3-4 months now.

Bob I
03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
And another thing to consider, there's no telling how old they are when you buy them.

Size is usually a good indicator as to age. If the shrimp is large when bought, it is a good bet that it is over a year old. I have found that they molt often when they are young, but that slows when they age.

However, those are my findings, and they may not be accurate.:mrgreen:

Rondelet
03-23-2006, 04:24 PM
What is the general consensus/opinion on the average captive life-span (in terms of years) for cleaner shrimp? (Assume you get them when they are relative small).

Psyire
03-23-2006, 04:38 PM
I've read around 3 years on numerous occasions.

fortheloveofcrabs
03-23-2006, 05:05 PM
I've had my cleaner shrimp for just over two years now. When I got him he was a real runt, but now he's all grown up... So, atleast two years, but I dunno the 'expected' life span.

digital-audiophile
03-23-2006, 05:42 PM
I lose shrimp like no tomorrow :( Alas I do have what I think is a gorilla crab in my tank and I am not able to cathc the little bastard. He molts ocassionally and by seeing the molt he is getting big :( I'm afriad he is the cause of my shrimp losses :( I never find bodies.. just don't find them when I do a head count.

adidas
03-23-2006, 06:17 PM
i've had cleaners just drop dead b4 too and mine were about 2" probably old.

G1GY
03-24-2006, 04:52 AM
I lose shrimp like no tomorrow :( Alas I do have what I think is a gorilla crab in my tank and I am not able to cathc the little bastard. He molts ocassionally and by seeing the molt he is getting big :( I'm afriad he is the cause of my shrimp losses :( I never find bodies.. just don't find them when I do a head count.

Use a mag light late at night and harpoon him! Barberic yes, but seems to have worked for me a number of times in the past.