PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer...

prosnow
03-23-2006, 02:26 AM
Just got my Refractometer. Definatly a good investment, found my old IO swing arm hyrdrometer was off by 4! points!!! :( oh well, this new refractormeter is pretty cool, 3 little drops and then you get to look threw it like a pirate, haha

vanreefer
03-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Aaahhrrrrr

Deathstar
03-23-2006, 09:23 PM
I just picked one up too a few weeks ago it was worth it. My old hyrdrometer was off by a bit too (about 2 points).

Prosnow what you keep your salt level at?

Eric

prosnow
03-25-2006, 02:35 PM
1.025 on the dot...

Ruth
03-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Isn't it funny that sometimes the smallest purchase can just make a world of defference. I still shake my head at how long I went just using a swing arm one while I spent big $ on skimmers, calcium reactors etc. while overlooking probably one of the most important things of all - getting the water to the correct salinity.

rickjames
03-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Isn't it funny that sometimes the smallest purchase can just make a world of defference. I still shake my head at how long I went just using a swing arm one while I spent big $ on skimmers, calcium reactors etc. while overlooking probably one of the most important things of all - getting the water to the correct salinity.

Definitely agree with you on this one. One plus not mentioned yet about a refractometer is that the sample size is so small you can use it to test the salinity in a fish bag when you purchase livestock.