PDA

View Full Version : Gate or Ball valve?

untamed
03-22-2006, 12:48 AM
If I want to use a valve specifically for flow/rate control...and not so much for on/off...is a gate valve a much better choice than a ball valve?

kari
03-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Yes, gate. There's another one that is supposed to be even better for flow control and cost about 4 times more but I forget the name of it. Once I remember I'll post it.

KingTitan
03-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Yes gate valve is alot better for flow control then a ball valve. adjusting ball valves is a pain!!

G1GY
03-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Yes, gate. There's another one that is supposed to be even better for flow control and cost about 4 times more but I forget the name of it. Once I remember I'll post it.

Globe valve. :)

kari
03-22-2006, 12:52 AM
I was assuming you were looking at larger valves like 1/2" + for water.

kari
03-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Yup, that's it Gary.

untamed
03-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Yes, I'm planning out the plumbing and realized that some of the valves I was planning were for shutoff and some were more for control.

I was just reading about globe valves...sounds like they will interfere with the current a bit more than a gate valve would.

Yes, most of the plumbing is 1", 1.5", and 2".

Thanks, it sounds like I'll be using more gate valves than I first thought.

Willow
03-22-2006, 01:23 AM
or a knife valve, you just pull/push on the handle to adjust flow.

untamed
03-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Wow...I just added it up and I'm over $700 worth of valves and bulkheads and I haven't even factored in pipe! What a great way to spend money!

G1GY
03-22-2006, 02:07 AM
or a knife valve, you just pull/push on the handle to adjust flow.

Different than a gate valve? Or just another name that some refer to it as?

Delphinus
03-22-2006, 02:16 AM
Hey Gary, it's basically still a gate valve, but without the fine adjustment capabilities.

G1GY
03-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Hey Gary, it's basically still a gate valve, but without the fine adjustment capabilities.

Thanks Tony.

I wasn't sure because I've never heard of a knife valve before.

AndyL
03-22-2006, 03:44 AM
Yeah, don't waste your time with knife/gate valves that are slide in / out - very hard to truly fine tune... Unfortunately I haven't seen any pvc gates with a threaded adjuster in calgary - anyone seen em?

untamed
03-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Here...they are referred to as "Knife Gate Valves". So they are basically a type of gate valve.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=16117&product%5Fid=19532

b_james
03-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Internally they are both the same as they rely on a "gate" vertical flat disk LIKE A GATE that raises and lowers by means of either a screw mechanism (gate valve with hand wheel) or sliding action (knife Gate).

A Globe valve is a valve with a linear motion, push-pull stem, whose one or more ports and body are distinguished by a globular shaped cavity around the port region. This type of valve is characterized by a torturous flow path and is also referred to as a LOW RECOVERY VALVE because some of the energy in the flow stream is dissipated; and the inlet pressure will not recover to the extent that it would in a more streamlined HIGH RECOVERY VALVE.

G1GY
03-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Internally they are both the same as they rely on a "gate" vertical flat disk LIKE A GATE that raises and lowers by means of either a screw mechanism (gate valve with hand wheel) or sliding action (knife Gate).

A Globe valve is a valve with a linear motion, push-pull stem, whose one or more ports and body are distinguished by a globular shaped cavity around the port region. This type of valve is characterized by a torturous flow path and is also referred to as a LOW RECOVERY VALVE because some of the energy in the flow stream is dissipated; and the inlet pressure will not recover to the extent that it would in a more streamlined HIGH RECOVERY VALVE.

Just posting links to the place you got this info from for others who might be interested. :)

http://www.maintenanceresources.com/ReferenceLibrary/ControlValves/CashcoTerminologyPg1.htm

http://vaveco.be/Valves%20Concepts/Terminologie_files/TerminologyPg1.html