PDA

View Full Version : PC vs VHO for actinics

BMW Rider
03-21-2006, 02:31 AM
I would like you opinions and experiences with either PC or VHO actinic lighting.

I have been using 2 x 96w PC actinics along with my MHs for the past two years. I have not been experiencing great success with the PC bulbs. I am averaging bulb failure in under six months, sometimes in as little as three. I'm getting a bit tired of the expense of these bulbs usually around $50 - 60 each plus shipping, I've tried several brands and none seem to last any better that the other. I was checking, and I can run VHOs with the PFO electronic ballast that I have, and would like to know if these are any better than the PCs. I figure even if they don't last any longer, at least they are about half the price to replace. of course I'd have to replace the sockets, but that would be a one time cost that would make the VHOs equal to the cost of the PCs. After that they would be cheaper.

Comments please.

Invigor
03-21-2006, 02:35 AM
I use normal output actinics. cheap to run, cheap to replace, and last forever (2 years) I have had pc and VHO in the past and found both to really decrease quickly in output, but NO bulbs seem to stay the same until they quit completely. another thing I enjoy about them is I can get them anywhere in town for a reasonable price $30 each...or if I were to go all out, buy a case of the philips ones from a lighting supply company, but I haven't done that. I have actinic T5s but don't use them because I prefer the Hagen blue (470nm) versus the purple (420nm) actinics. and it just so happens that the ARC T5 super actinics I got are the purple actinics.

And that's my opinion and thoughts on your situation.

TheReefGeek
03-21-2006, 05:49 AM
I ran VHO actinics off an icecap 660 for a while with my 10K halides and really liked the color I got from them. Only reason I am not using them now is using 20K bulbs cuts down on the electricity bill.

I have used PC 10K and actinics and liked the VHO much better, the bulbs definately last longer than 6 months (I have run some for 12 months no prob, ) and are $30 each.

Willow
03-21-2006, 06:51 AM
i can't seem to tell the diffrence betweem no actinics and vho's. the no's are 15 bucks a bulb and only use 40 watts of power. the pc actinics i used to run seem to die between 6-8 months, im super happy with my switch over to no's.

StirCrazy
03-21-2006, 12:18 PM
I used to run VHO actinics, then switched to NO actinics now I am back to VHO actinics. NO actinics didn't cut it for power or for the amount of actual "actinic power" even when overdriven. I get about 2 years out of my VHO bulbs as they are only for looks.

Steve