PDA

View Full Version : Adding Percula Clowns

Coderad
03-21-2006, 12:13 AM
I have a false Percula and would like to get another one soon to eliminate fighting. But not having much luck finding one can I add a True Percula clown with him instead ?

TheReefGeek
03-21-2006, 05:54 AM
Should not be a problem, I have seen it done lots.

It is always best to add them at the same time, but they should still pair up. Expect some fighting until they form their dominance and decide who is going to be male and female.

Anybody had this situation? Is it best to add the same size clown and let them fight it out, or help the situation along and get a different size to force the bigger to be the female sooner?

Xtasia
03-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Yes, you can put an ocellaris with a percula. They may or may not pair up in time. mine did. I don't think there will be fry from this companionship.

With ocellaris' it should be no problem wether you add them in later or at the same time. They tend to be pretty non aggressive. I think it would be better to add a slightly smaller one... or even 2 slightly smaller ones and see which one pairs off with the existing one, and then return or sell the one left out.

Also be sure to quarantine your new clowns before adding them into your tank as Wild caught clowns are pretty notorious for brook. It would be bad to lose your existing clown because of a failure to QT. Clowns don't seem to mind 10g QT tanks much.

Anybody had this situation? Is it best to add the same size clown and let them fight it out, or help the situation along and get a different size to force the bigger to be the female sooner?

It really depends on what stage of maturity your clown is in imho. If your clown is a juvenile, I think it would be ok to put in a same size to smaller one. If it is older, it will often be more likely to become the female when alone for a decent amount of time, so it would be better to get one 75% the size of the existing clown. Then when adding the clown, move some of the aquascape, leave a dim light on, etc.

read:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=245520
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215098