PDA

View Full Version : What light for Fuge?

b_james
03-20-2006, 05:38 PM
What kind of lights are you using on your Fuge? I just finnished converting my 90Gal Wet/dry into a fuge over the weekend and Im now trying to figure out an inexpensive lighting setup. The fuge is 22"x18"x 15" high. I want to keep energy consumption down to a minimum. :wink:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-20-2006, 05:41 PM
A clip on desk light with 27w Phillips Daylight CFL bulb from Home Depot works great & very inexpensive. One or 2 should do you.

lastlight
03-20-2006, 05:42 PM
I've heard good things about the philips daylight bulbs. They are 6500k. I'm still setting my system up but i have one of these in a small clip-on reflector aimed into the fuge. It's 27W.

Seahorse beat me to it! Doh!

TheReefGeek
03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
What is the purpose of the fuge?

If the main purpose is to grow macro algae then I would blast it with as much light as you can. In this case I would use a bunch of cheap bulbs that use regular sockets (try to find 6500k bulbs but 4300k will work just fine for algae, just looks really yellow). Or go all the way and use a single metal halide bulb with a cheap grow light.

If the main purpose is to grow pods to feed your tank, then lighting is not as much of an issue.

And by the way I checked my utility bill and electricity has gone up, not to 11cents, mine was more like 8cents a KWH, but not 6 like I remember :(

b_james
03-20-2006, 06:01 PM
And by the way I checked my utility bill and electricity has gone up, not to 11cents, mine was more like 8cents a KWH, but not 6 like I remember :(

Hey.. When I open my power bills I skip all the details ang go directly to the total - before the initial shock settles I dispose of it:lol:

The fuge will be used to grow algea and pods. I was in Home depot on the weekend and counlnt find those clip on lights.. Any idea how much they are? and what part of the lighting section?

TheReefGeek
03-20-2006, 06:16 PM
I am upgrading my fuge lighting, I have two of the clip-on lights I am using right now.

$7.50 each including the bulbs I am using if you want them. Bulbs have only been run for about 1 month 10 hours a day, one is a daylight the other is a 50/50. For a fuge you can run the bulbs till they burn out because spectrum doesn't really matter.

I see you are in the west end, I am too. I will be home from 5:30 to 8:30 tonight, or most evenings work.