PDA

View Full Version : Reef Videos

Chrismo
03-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey,

I've been putting together a collection of reef-related videos and tank tour videos of canadian tanks, on a website called www.reefvideos.com

I've tried to make them as informative as i can. You can hear each person talking about their tank, and list off the species, while what they are talking about. My tank is the 20gallon nano. It's likely the worst video, but it was the first and more of a test run. :)

I just did one on how to make your own 2-part calcium additive too.

Two other Reef shows you might want to check out are www.reefcast.com and Talkingreef. They are more audio only shows, but are pretty cool. Reefcast in particular.

Hope you like 'em!
Chris

tbone
03-19-2006, 11:59 PM
very cool!

Jason McK
03-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Very cool Chris. Is this a personal project of part of a club or organizations?

How can someone get there tank tour on the site?

Chrismo
03-20-2006, 03:43 AM
It's just a personal project. I am in toronto, so all those tanks are near here. or within an hours drive.

I might arrange a trip to ottawa, and try and schedule a few tanks all in one day. But thats a busy day. And my wife will think I'm an even bigger reeefgeek than she already suspects. :)

A few people have asked me that lately, It would be cool if they sent me videos and I edit them down and stuck them on my site I suppose, but what do I say if there video really bad? (not that mine are great). hmmm.

I'm gunna think about that, maybe make some kinda submission document.
I'm trying to keep them short... 5-7 mins.

If anyone has suggestions, I'll hear gladly hear them.

Chris

Skimmerking
03-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Really well done you need to get Scotty's tank in there AFSS. Is it me or the vid's seemed to stop and re buffer alot and i have DSL too.

TheReefGeek
03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I believe Bev posted your link a while back, great site!

I have high speed and the videos seemed to buffer and stop a lot too. If you can change the settings I would buffer way more at the beginning before starting the videos? Or offer them for download?

I dont mind waiting for the video to start, but it is annoying to stop in the middle and wait.

Pan
03-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I believe Bev posted your link a while back, great site!

I have high speed and the videos seemed to buffer and stop a lot too. If you can change the settings I would buffer way more at the beginning before starting the videos? Or offer them for download?

I dont mind waiting for the video to start, but it is annoying to stop in the middle and wait.

what kind of connection do you have? the videos never pause for me, and usually start before the countdown is done :)

TheReefGeek
03-20-2006, 05:32 PM
I have ADSL from Telus. I get 100k/second downloading at the very minumum, usually it is 150k/s.

Some of the videos went without a hitch, then I started the sump one, and it was chunky. Maybe there were lots of people downloading videos at that time and the slowdown was server side.

Chrismo
03-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I have noticed that if I click a few buttons in fairly quick succession, then the video can start loading one video while the other is still loading. And this can slow it, so the playhead catches up with the buffer...

You know the horizontal bar at the bottom, it progresses as the video loads. The little "nibby" thing shows the playhead. Does the playhead overtake the loading bar?

I've tested it a zillion times but havent had problems. I'd love to know what percentage of people do have problems. I've only heard from 3 people o far, and one had a really old versionof flash on his computer.

I suppose I'll need to make a lower rez version of the site.
You can let the video buffer manually, by hitting the pause button (bottom left), and just waiting a bit before playing again. As well there is a podcast feed, which will download as soon as a new episode goes online. It'll download automatically, if you leave your itunes on(or whatever podcast subscriber you use).

The podcast feed listed on the Apple podcast directory and a few others. The feed is reefvideos_podcast01.rss

I guess this thing is growing, and I need to do things a little better.
I've seen a tonne of views from canreef.com! Big forum here!

Let me know of any problems, or suggestions. I'm lineing up some more tank-tours.

Scott-Afss huh?, Lets see if hes into it.
Chris

Squiddy
03-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Very nice website Chris! I love the overall look and love how the videos are all in Flash. Keep up the good work!

Beverly
03-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Chris,

Excellent collection of videos :cool: Keep up the great work :biggrin:

Pan
03-21-2006, 05:03 AM
Chris,

Excellent collection of videos :cool: Keep up the great work :biggrin:

I second that, i love videos of tanks that one day i would like to emulate

Chrismo
03-24-2006, 11:21 PM
I found one thing that was wrong with the buffering on some of the videos... It started playing before it was really ready.... Oopps.

I've got a few new videos up, Marte's tank is spectacular. This current video showcases his seahorse tank, which is full of Ricordia.

Here's some clips from the video. Stunning eh.
(The Americans are making fun of me, 'ccause I said "eh" in a few videos :) )

http://reefvideos.com/martepics/clowns_zoas.jpg

G1GY
03-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Allways buffered good for me right from the first day you posted this. Great vids BTW. :)

Flusher
03-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Very cool. Lots of info. Good job. :smile:
________
MERCEDES-BENZ OM616 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM616)

OCDP
03-27-2006, 06:49 PM
The newest videos are amazing... wow.