PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Wavebox

Sushiman
03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Has anyone got one of these monsters? What's your feedback? Good, bad, over-priced POS...?

TheReefGeek
03-17-2006, 06:57 PM
There was a thread about 2 weeks ago on this.

Basic concensus seemed to be that it moves a WHOLE lot of water for you, all throughout your tank nicely.

They are expensive, and take up a good amount of realestate in the tank.

Your water volume will surge back and forth so much, 1.5" difference from the waves.

It is hard on tank, I think they say 10% reduction in tank "life" due to stress on joints from so much water movement. Even harder on bow fronts.

They are most effective on longer tanks where the waves can "build".

I have seen the one at J&L in vancouver, looked awesome in action!

Tangman
03-18-2006, 04:45 AM
IN NO WAY AM I TRYING TO SLAM , TheReefGeek, but;
There was a thread about 2 weeks ago on this.True

Basic consensus seemed to be that it moves a WHOLE lot of water for you, all throughout your tank nicely. It moves all the water in the direction the wave box is pointing, usually from end to end

They are expensive, and take up a good amount of real estate in the tank. Any closed loop wave maker are expensive IE: Oceanmotion, Redsea wave controller/power heads, Tunze streams/multicontroller, what ever?, check out the prices, as for real estate , take a look what tunze streams or a bunch of power heads take up for room in a tank

Your water volume will surge back and forth so much, 1.5" difference from the waves. Untrue,I have a 215gallon /72inch tank and the wave at max. is 3/4 inch up and down at one end

It is hard on tank, I think they say 10% reduction in tank "life" due to stress on joints from so much water movement. Even harder on bow fronts.Some what Untrue, this would only be true if you had a cheap tank of poor quality. as for bow tanks Alan at J&L said he called a rep. at Oceanic and they said it could only be a factor if you wanted the wave to move from front to back. the rep. also said any one that would try that needs to have a water clean up mess....lol

They are most effective on longer tanks where the waves can "build".Untrue, a wave box is effective on any tank, but if your tank is long enough to produce a double wave , or "build", it only looks cooler!!

I have seen the one at J&L in Vancouver, looked awesome in action! I have seen the one at J&L ,and this statment is TRUE! looks awesome. that 155gallon is a great display and a great advertisement for the wave box ,as J&L have sold lots of units since the display has been up. In fact they are back orderred!
I bought one and love it:biggrin:

Sushiman
03-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I found a video clip of a tank in Germany with one (or two I'm not 100% sure..) WB in full swing; man I can believe that it causes wear on a tank! I tried to link to the site but it came up as "invalid". They had the wave action going very rapidly, I'd like a slower, steady surge from side to side. There are nice little surge tanks at the Vancouver Aquarium that are much more the style I like. I'm currantly upgrading my overflow & return on my 100gal. I have a sqwd plumbed in to a Mag 12 now but I want at least a Mag 18. Tunze is nice but the prices are hard for me to justify & the real estate issue is a big concern for me. When I upgrade to the 180-210gal range though I could really see the wavebox becoming an option.

TheReefGeek
03-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Basic consensus seemed to be that it moves a WHOLE lot of water for you, all throughout your tank nicely. It moves all the water in the direction the wave box is pointing, usually from end to end I mean it creates water movement throughout your entire tank, you won't have any dead spots. For water direction, it would be best to run two of them in opposite corners pointing towards the front center of the tank for best results.

They are expensive, and take up a good amount of real estate in the tank. Any closed loop wave maker are expensive IE: Oceanmotion, Redsea wave controller/power heads, Tunze streams/multicontroller, what ever?, check out the prices, as for real estate , take a look what tunze streams or a bunch of power heads take up for room in a tank $500 is a lot compared to say a closed loop running a Barracuda pump for half the price. As for realestate, The box takes up more room than 2 streams or 2 Seio's. And way more room than a closed loop manifold.

Your water volume will surge back and forth so much, 1.5" difference from the waves. Untrue,I have a 215gallon /72inch tank and the wave at max. is 3/4 inch up and down at one end You might not be getting 1.5" but that doesn't mean it isn't possible, so I wouldn't say it is untrue. Different tanks are going to act differently because of the different frequencies the wavebox is going to setup in the tank. The shorter the tank, the faster the frequency. The wavebox will produce different waves on each tank it is put on.

It is hard on tank, I think they say 10% reduction in tank "life" due to stress on joints from so much water movement. Even harder on bow fronts.Some what Untrue, this would only be true if you had a cheap tank of poor quality. as for bow tanks Alan at J&L said he called a rep. at Oceanic and they said it could only be a factor if you wanted the wave to move from front to back. the rep. also said any one that would try that needs to have a water clean up mess....lol I am more inclined to believe the developer and primary tester of the wavebox 6212, Claude Hug, who states: Tank life is shortened by the dynamic load. We approximate a tank constructed to DIN standards looses 10-20% of it's life when all other assembly and installation is 100% correct. (Unfortunately the US has no standard system like the Deutches Institute Normalization but we can estimate that a well made name brand US tank will have a 15 year life and the wavebox will reduce that to 12 at most if all other instalation is correct-i.e. it is level and properly supported)

They are most effective on longer tanks where the waves can "build".Untrue, a wave box is effective on any tank, but if your tank is long enough to produce a double wave , or "build", it only looks cooler!! I said MOST effective. The longer the tank, the more natural the waves are going to be, hence the more effective. I didn't say it was not effective in any tanks. It takes a tank longer than 6ft for double wave action by the way.

SuperFudge
03-21-2006, 05:26 PM
For total movement, two of these do more than 15,000 GPH did with pumps, on my system.

Rating 8/10

-2 demerits for their bulk. :D

I just would like to know how the formula works for determining actual gph on these things.
If they are 17000 gph each, that would mean i have a total of 49,000 gph in the tank. :O

Running them opposite of one another works, but only if 2 side by side is not an option.
A more powerful wave is made by placing side by side...and the closer together the boxes, the better they work.

I absolutley love these things, if detritus/crap even has a chance of falling and sitting, it rolls back and forth until it is gone.

They are producing a 1.5" wave in there now, and i bet i could tweak em and get a bit more.

Thumbs up for these units.

TheReefGeek
03-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Wow, what are your tank specs?

SuperFudge
03-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Ill give you a link if i could...its a little faster. :D

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=686757

A couple pics of the waveboxes are around pg 5

TheReefGeek
03-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Wow, awesome!

fishfool
06-05-2008, 10:01 AM
hey
tunze is a sponsor here (http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f120/) and you can ask them and other users questions, it's not been updated recently but the guy is still on there i think - roger vitko
you can also see issues that users are having with the product there and ask them what they think

Chaloupa
06-05-2008, 06:20 PM
I really like mine as it works well, produces a nice uneven current in the tank but yeah, they do take up a bit of room. I'd buy another if I had the chance!

Chowder
06-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Apperently Tunze is going to come out with a nano wavebox this summer.
The dims will be 4.9" L x 2.1 W x 8.6 " H for tanks from 30 gallons to 150 gallons. Believe it should retail for about $381.52 US.

fkshiu
06-05-2008, 08:21 PM
The brand new Stream line is gonna be sweet as well.

BC Mosaic
06-05-2008, 09:05 PM
The brand new Stream line is gonna be sweet as well.

Where can I read up about it?

Chowder
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
On RC in the Tunze forum.

skylord
06-06-2008, 05:34 AM
If you want to see one I'm only 10 minutes away. Load the kids...add wife and Lil and her can drink some wine while we check out mechanical stuff. I can even explain how to put a wave over the top of the tank....lol.

Scott

Has anyone got one of these monsters? What's your feedback? Good, bad, over-priced POS...?