PDA

View Full Version : Storing Ro and mixed water

prosnow
03-17-2006, 02:15 PM
i Have 2 100 gallon holding tanks for my ro/mixed water, would ro water be fine if i just had a big airstone in there? and would it be alright to keep saltwater mixed up in a seperate tank, keeping it heated and with an airstone or powerhead going??? yes the tanks are foodsafe used them on my freshwater systems for autotop ups and what not, and they both have lids...

thanks!

TheReefGeek
03-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Yep, no problem keeping one with RO water, and one with mixed saltwater. Just keep the lids on so you dont get crap in there, or lose it to evaporation.

prosnow
03-18-2006, 12:19 AM
but water doesnt go stag. or anything???

Beverly
03-18-2006, 02:12 AM
We have RO/DI water stored for about a week. During that time, it is heated and aerated with a big powerhead in a covered plastic trashcan. We salt the water the day before water changes and use it within 24 hours. We've noticed salted water kept longer than 36 hours to begin leaving a whitish ring around the water line, which I believe is something precipitating out of the saltwater.

Heating and aerating while we're waiting for the next water change gives us the opportunity to salt it and use it right away in case we need to do an emergency water change. Got to admit we haven't have many such emergencies, but having the water heated to tank temps and fully aerated has been a blessing when we have needed it.

cprowler
03-18-2006, 02:28 AM
We've noticed salted water kept longer than 36 hours to begin leaving a whitish ring around the water line, which I believe is something precipitating out of the saltwater.

What salt are you using and what garbage can, foodgrade brute?

Beverly
03-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Rubbermaid can, not food grade. Whitish ring has appeared with both IO and Kent salts.

TheReefGeek
03-20-2006, 02:36 PM
salted water kept longer than 36 hours to begin leaving a whitish ring around the water line

Probably salt creep?

TheReefGeek
03-20-2006, 02:37 PM
but water doesnt go stag. or anything???

For top off water, shouldn't matter. For water change water I would aerate it 24hrs before use.

Squiddy
03-21-2006, 01:48 AM
I keep salt water made up in a 20 gal trash can from Canadian Tire. I've got a powerhead, heater and airstone in there and I notice that after a week or so, there is a slight slime on the power cords. I use an RO/DI filter and IO salt. No white ring but I'm not sure what the slime is.

Ruth
03-21-2006, 02:36 AM
IMO you can keep mixed up salt water for up to 2 weeks as long as it is being constantly mixed with a powerhead and heated and your container is covered to prevent crap getting in and evaporation. I mean really - think about it - after it goes into our aquariums what is it other than heated and mixed salt water. A lot of people use the rubbermaid containers as well as the rubber livestock water tubs for sumps and fuges - again filled with mixed and heated salt water.

Psyire
03-21-2006, 03:56 AM
I actually read on RC where Randy (resident chemist) posted saying it is not necessary to mix or aerate your saltwater while storing. So long as it is done prior, it will be fine.

cprowler
03-21-2006, 04:41 AM
I have 2 Rubbermaid Brute food safe trash cans, one for top up water and the other mixed for water changes. The mixed has a powerhead, heater and airstone and I use Kents salt. I also have lids on both to keep out crap and light.

I have had no problems with keeping the mixed for 3 or 4 weeks. The only problem I had was when I used Oceanic salt, I started to get a brown slime.

TheReefGeek
03-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Why would you limit it to two weeks then? If you are limiting evaporation, aerating it, and heating it, why limit it?

Ruth
03-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Personally I don't think you have to limit it to 2 weeks - that's just when I usually use it for water changes so have to mix up a new batch anyway. When I go away for work or holidays I always leave about 40 gallons of mixed and airated water for emergency anyway.

EmilyB
03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Stored saltwater that is heated goes funny ime. If I have saltwater left over after a change, I turn the heater off, and reheat before using.

Otherwise I keep the RO cold, heat it before a change, then add salt.