PDA

View Full Version : New 42G Setup Cycling

JHG
03-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Hi all,

I finally setup my 42G and have water and salt mixed. I'm currently using and AquaClear 200 filter, Eheim powerhead and a Mag 3 pump to move water... well actually I used them in the bare tank to mix the salt - worked like a charm.

My plan:
1. Add new substrate (crushed coral)
2. Add cured live rock (from another tank)
3. Add cup or two of crushed coral from another established tank to seed.
4. About 10 gallons of "used" water from my other marine tank.
5. I am debating whether to add any lighting over the tank for now until the tank cycles. Any thoughts?

I'm also thinking of using the services of a pair of mollies to help the cycle along.

J

Aquattro
03-17-2006, 04:56 AM
I'd skip the mollies and the used gravel. The rock itself will have plenty of seed bacteria.

Pan
03-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Hi all,

I finally setup my 42G and have water and salt mixed. I'm currently using and AquaClear 200 filter, Eheim powerhead and a Mag 3 pump to move water... well actually I used them in the bare tank to mix the salt - worked like a charm.

My plan:
1. Add new substrate (crushed coral)
2. Add cured live rock (from another tank)
3. Add cup or two of crushed coral from another established tank to seed.
4. About 10 gallons of "used" water from my other marine tank.
5. I am debating whether to add any lighting over the tank for now until the tank cycles. Any thoughts?

I'm also thinking of using the services of a pair of mollies to help the cycle along.

J

the light will just accelerate algae growth, i don't think you need lights on till the tank cycles. Unless you want to look at an empty tank i guess.

JHG
03-17-2006, 05:47 AM
How deep of a substrate bed would ya'll use for a 15" high tank such as this? I can ditch the light, because I agree with you about the algae.