PDA

View Full Version : My seahorses

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Hi guys,

Here is a picture one of my new seahorses I just on the weekend. They are all H. Kuda's

Eric

howdy20012002
03-17-2006, 03:37 AM
looks great
where did u get them from if u don't mind me asking
thanks
Neal

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 03:54 AM
looks great
where did u get them from if u don't mind me asking
thanks
Neal

Oceans in Calgary,

I am having a lot of feeding problems with them so I don't recommend them. They also told me that they were (CB) Hippocampus barbouri's and they are (WC) Hippocampus kuda's. I guess I should have done the reserch, but the SH's might pay the price for my mistake. I can not find any more live feeder shrimp in town I was getting them from Wai's on 16 Ave. but he is now out untill next week so I hope they start eating frozen mysis shrimp soon our they might not make it past the weekend.:cry:

Eric

howdy20012002
03-17-2006, 04:03 AM
can't u buy some copepods or something?
I would be very upset if i was told something different than reality
how did u find out that they were not what u were told?
i would be bringing them back and saying that you want your money back.
I would do it simply on the fact that they are WC and not CB..
not cool at all. I would refuse to support WC seahorses in any way.
Sorry to hear about the problems
Neal

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 04:18 AM
can't u buy some copepods or something?
I would be very upset if i was told something different than reality
how did u find out that they were not what u were told?
i would be bringing them back and saying that you want your money back.
I would do it simply on the fact that they are WC and not CB..
not cool at all. I would refuse to support WC seahorses in any way.
Sorry to hear about the problems
Neal

I have tried almost every kind of food you can think about but I have not tried copepods. What are copepods? where do you get them? I found out by what seahorse I had by posting pictures on www.seahorse.org and a few guys on there told me what I had. That store has a no refund policy. Trust me I don't support WC seahorses. I was told they were tank bread.

Eric

howdy20012002
03-17-2006, 04:22 AM
copepods are the little shrimp like thing that swim around your tanks..if it has been up and running for awhile.
not sure of a local place to buy them or any other live food for that matter...
hopefully someone here will know
Personally, if a store did that to me and i know for a fact that they are WC not CB like they said. I would say either give me my money back or I won't step back into your store again.
Making a mistake is one thing.
However, if they knowingly lied about that....they would lose my patronage forever.
I hope for your sake and theirs that you find someway of feeding them
best of luck
Neal

JSTR
03-17-2006, 04:30 AM
Watch all the stores here in Calgary - a few have had something other than H. kuda, but not often.
Easiest form of copepods to get is cyclop-eeze, just remember to pre soak it for at least an hour prior to feeding. dump th e cyclops-eeze directly into the flow so they appear to move.
If that doesn't work enriched brine shrimp are your last resort. Even large seahorses will eat them - remember they are not nutritious at all, so they must be enriched with good phytoplanton or products liek Selco.

The H. kuda you got are all from the same distributor in the Phillipines. Not 100% sure if wild caught or captive bred. By the way should you look into purchasing more of these - I would never spend more than $60 per horse on captivebred.
Saw those ones at the LFS, didn't look to healthy in their tank, better to leave them there. One easy give away is to check out the eyes if they are not cnstantly searching for food - something is wrong with the seahorse.

HTH

howdy20012002
03-17-2006, 04:36 AM
I cant find a place that sells them for 60..the cheapest i can find is 80 and that is from ontario for CB reidis
please do tell if u know of any places around here
thanks
Neal

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Watch all the stores here in Calgary - a few have had something other than H. kuda, but not often.
Easiest form of copepods to get is cyclop-eeze, just remember to pre soak it for at least an hour prior to feeding. dump th e cyclops-eeze directly into the flow so they appear to move.
If that doesn't work enriched brine shrimp are your last resort. Even large seahorses will eat them - remember they are not nutritious at all, so they must be enriched with good phytoplanton or products liek Selco.

The H. kuda you got are all from the same distributor in the Phillipines. Not 100% sure if wild caught or captive bred. By the way should you look into purchasing more of these - I would never spend more than $60 per horse on captivebred.
Saw those ones at the LFS, didn't look to healthy in their tank, better to leave them there. One easy give away is to check out the eyes if they are not cnstantly searching for food - something is wrong with the seahorse.

HTH

I will pick up some cyclop-eeze tomorrow Wai's has it never tried it, but I looked at a few time i thought it was just a flake product. Do you have Kuda's? Do you feed them that stuff? The seahorses still look real heathly? they swim around my tank all day.

Thanks for the help,

Eric

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 05:01 AM
I cant find a place that sells them for 60..the cheapest i can find is 80 and that is from ontario for CB reidis
please do tell if u know of any places around here
thanks
Neal

If I ever have to buy another seahorse again I would get it from http://www.seanic.ca/ (I have heard a lot of good review about this place) or maybe golds in Calgary.

Thanks,

Eric

Skimmer Juice
03-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Good thing I was going to buy two from oceans.Does that place you have the link for ship to calgary?I would buy mine from golds they are honest.

howdy20012002
03-17-2006, 05:21 AM
as far as i know they will ship to here..
i have actually already been in contact with them before
they are the ones that are 89 for the reidis

do i hear group order?
lol

AndyL
03-17-2006, 05:41 AM
Riverfront sells ghost shrimp .60 each - never heard of a seahorse taking cyclopeeze. Just acclimate em to the saltwater over a day or so (or just dump em in - SH will have had lunch long before they die anyway).

Andy

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-17-2006, 06:10 AM
Unfortunately, what you're experiencing is all too common with seahorses (captive-bred or w/c). The stress of going from the LFS to your tank can be enough to knock them off feed. Especially if they were netted out & exposed to the air. Proper technique is to bag them in the water because if seahorses breath in air, it can easily cause all sorts of problems. With seahorses, it's best to assume the worst & prepare for it. Have the tank set up months in advance with lots of live pods & mysis shrimp breeding in there, just in case they stop eating frzn mysis.

Fortunately, if you can train one to eat frzn foods, it will often train the others just by being an example. Good luck. Also, if they survive & switch to frzn, train them to eat from an elevated feeding station (a little tupperware container at mid-tank). This will make it easier for you to feed the seahorses & reduce the overfeeding & bristleworm outbreaks that are normally associated with seahorse tanks.

Good luck,

Anthony

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Good thing I was going to buy two from oceans.Does that place you have the link for ship to calgary?I would buy mine from golds they are honest.

Yes they ship to Calgary. and they have H. Reidis in stock right now.

Eric

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Riverfront sells ghost shrimp .60 each - never heard of a seahorse taking cyclopeeze. Just acclimate em to the saltwater over a day or so (or just dump em in - SH will have had lunch long before they die anyway).

Andy

Hi Andy,

Riverfront is out of ghost shrimp I called them. I am going to pick up some cyclopeeze today.

Thanks,

Eric

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi Guys,

Good news one was eating frzn mysis this morning from a dish I put in there tank. I will still try some cyclopeeze tonight and I am going to try and find a feeding staion as well.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 04:30 PM
I dont know ,if i should chime in since i have never taken care of any Sea horses. How about sticking in some blood wormms in ront of them the look like little worms and they might take to them...

good luck

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I dont know ,if i should chime in since i have never taken care of any Sea horses. How about sticking in some blood wormms in ront of them the look like little worms and they might take to them...

good luck

Thanks for the input,

I talked to my LFS and they are sorry for the mixup and they are going to take back the seahorses and give me a full store credit so I guess they are not a bad place to deal with at all.

Thanks,

Eric

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 09:05 PM
as far as i know they will ship to here..
i have actually already been in contact with them before
they are the ones that are 89 for the reidis

do i hear group order?
lol
Lets start a group order? I am in for a pair for sure.

Eric

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 09:12 PM
great ,but what is going to happen to the sea horses then, if you got them eating may be you should raise them...

howdy20012002
03-17-2006, 09:17 PM
i will post one in the edmonton forum
maybe you post one in the calgary forum as well

How soon are we looking at?
i am thinking a couple of weeks from now
I will try to find out how many aaron has in stock
Neal

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 09:30 PM
great ,but what is going to happen to the sea horses then, if you got them eating may be you should raise them...

I am aware but I am not too sure what to do.

I don't want to 3 dead seahorses in my tank. I know if they go back they are going to be dead for sure, but at $65 SH it is hard on my pocket. On the other hand I don't want to support (WC) seahorses and if I keep them I am supporting LFS to stock (WC) seahorses.

I am not sure what to do we are? Any ideas anyone? What should I do?

If I keep them they might die soon I have them eating a bit but not like other H. Kuda's. I have been taking to a lot of owners on www.seahorse.org.

Eric

Skimmer Juice
03-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I would keep them It's the only way they have a chance to live.If you transport them back to the lfs if they make it will just get sold to someone else.I would try to raise them money is less important than seahorses.

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 09:48 PM
I would keep them It's the only way they have a chance to live.If you transport them back to the lfs if they make it will just get sold to someone else.I would try to raise them money is less important than seahorses.
It is not all about the money I have spent over $100 on food in the last week for these guys. By keeping them I am telling my LFS that it is ok to sell (WC) seahorses.

Thanks for your input.

Eric

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Eric i hope you didnt take my answewr to be rude ,just thinking out loud that is all and at 65 per horse that is alot.

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Eric i hope you didnt take my answewr to be rude ,just thinking out loud that is all and at 65 per horse that is alot.

No I agree with you, I want to keep them but I not sure I should. I don't want to see any more (WC) seahorses in Calgary and if they have 3 dead ones in there tank and they lost money. I don't think they will order them again.

What you think?

Eric

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Well that is a hard question to answer really. If you take them back then, they might die or die at someones house who doenst know much about them.

Or you can keep them and raise them to be great and feed them lots and watch them get fat.

Tht is the trouble of LFS owner's that don't hav ealot of Experience. They buy all this live stock and they dont know nothing about the creature let alone how to take care of them...

howdy20012002
03-17-2006, 10:34 PM
i just wanted to say....that their ignorance is no excuse.
I am not trying to bash a store..but i feel strongly about this enough to say it.
As a owner of a store, it it their responsibility to know what it is they are bringing in.
Especially when it comes to something like seahorses.
If you have done any research at all about them you know that the survival rate of WC seahorses is dismal. A large percentage of them don't even make the journey to the stores, never mind the trip to an owner's home.
That being said....
I don't know what to say about you returning them.
tough call...i truly do honour you for wanting to make a statement.
However, they will most likely die if you return them.
If they are eating well, i would personally probably keep them. If you have doubts about them making it, then i would return them.
Just another one of my 2 cents
Neal

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 10:43 PM
well said, That is what i would do atleast they are alive in your tank ..

Deathstar
03-17-2006, 11:18 PM
well said, That is what i would do atleast they are alive in your tank ..

Let me give you guys the background;

I am not too sure they are going to make it, I just tried to feed them again and they are not eating now. I had them for 6 days now. I fed them live food everday untill I Calgary's supply ran out yesterday. I have been feeding all kinds of other stuff and they ate frz. shrimp this morining and a few other times not much they mostly have been eating the live food. I can not afford they feed them live food much longer and there is no where in town that has any. I have a bad feeling about keeping them I think they will be dead by the end of the weekend. They are my first seahorses and that is why I wanted (CB) SH's.

With that said I am thinking of taking them back

Eric

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 11:55 PM
ok you do what is right then.

Deathstar
03-18-2006, 03:51 AM
I got rid of them my LFS gave me a credit for them. They are also going to find out if they are (WC) or (CB) for me.

I had to get rid of them I could not have die in my tank. I am realy sad to see them go.:cry:

Eric

Snappy
03-18-2006, 06:44 PM
I wish I had seen this post earlier. I would have bought them from you. My sea horse could show them how to eat.

Deathstar
03-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I wish I had seen this post earlier. I would have bought them from you. My sea horse could show them how to eat.

Hi Greg,

They are still at Oceans in Calgary, you can pick them up if you want just tell them they are the ones that Eric dropped off.

Thanks,

Eric

Snappy
03-19-2006, 01:23 AM
I am going to Edmonchuk on Sunday and won't be back until next weekend.