PDA

View Full Version : Aquascaping 24 gal

Kryten
03-17-2006, 03:19 AM
Well I've started with the live rock in my new tank. Have about 19 pounds in there at the moment. Anyone have any aquascaping tips or suggestions? I know it comes down to personal preference, but at the same time there are probably techiques that tend to work out more asthetically pleasing than others. Also how much more lr would you add? The tank is about 29.5" long, 12.5" wide and 15" tall.

Thanks!

http://members.shaw.ca/steveboer/Misc/119_1906.JPG

Murminator
03-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Nothing wrong with that, big beach in front, little cave, bit of an arch you might have to put more low light things on the sides where it is a bit dark such as mushrooms. Nice sand where did ya get it?

DanG
03-17-2006, 04:04 AM
If you can find a long piece that will span the 2 lower points around the middle you could make another cave.

TheReefGeek
03-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Looks good to me!

Make sure your rock isn't "floating" on the very top of the sand, or it will shift on you eventually. Push it down to the bottom of the tank.

Xtasia
03-17-2006, 04:15 PM
I'd move the piece on the right off the glass. you'll thank yourself later when you are trying to get in there to clean the glass.

I'd also try to find a few more lbs of rocks that aren't so round. Take your time and invest in just a few pieces that are really interesting. Love what you've done on the left, but not a fan of the right.

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm a big fan of mounds in the tank ten you can have separate corals that you can grow, LPS on one mound and SPS on the other and not worry about the LPS stinging the other ones...

i like it looks good man i can't wait til my nano gets here.. I'm going SPS crazy.. with it

Kryten
03-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not happy with the right side yet either. I considered the point about keeping the rocks far enough from the glass to be able to clean it, but I was also considering just letting the sides and back do what they wanted and only clean the front. The tank is in an entertainment stand, so you can't see in either of the sides.

Thanks for the pointer of getting the rock right to the bottom of the tank Rory. Perhaps I'll get a few pieces of dry rock from you to use as a base for that purpose since these ones would be largely covered if I did that. The sand is a good 4" deep at the back. Speaking of the sand, I just got it at Big Al's, the Argamax sugar sand. I will also have much better lighting in there eventually. At the moment it's just a couple of 20" NO flourescents.

TheReefGeek
03-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Hide my lovely rock under the sand? :eek:

I'll let you decide which rocks get hidden once you see my rock. :mrgreen:

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 06:47 PM
hey Reefgeek is the rock that you get ina tyour store. Love it nice looking too.

man i can't type for some reason... well you know me quick to hit the submit button..

TheReefGeek
03-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Asmodeus

I can almost make out what you are saying there, but not quite, my decoder ring is acting up again. :mrgreen:

Try again?

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Long day on the med's for my back i guess and quick to click the button.

TheReefGeek
03-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I think I understand your question now?

I do stock the rock (or try to, sometimes big orders deplete my stock temporarily), it is in my basement fishroom.

Kryten
03-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to insult your rock :redface: Just figured better to bury some 'dead' rock than some 'live' rock... You shall have pm shortly...

TheReefGeek
03-17-2006, 09:17 PM
lol, I am just buggin ya :)

You have a PM back.

Skimmerking
03-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey Steve you know how you fix Rory,

pee all over his rock ....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: