PDA

View Full Version : reactor question

Silverfish
12-16-2001, 03:35 AM
Wondering why I would want a soleniod for my co2 bottle. Is it in case of a power failure the co2 doesn't keep flowing and do crazy things when the power comes back on?

Big ph spike or something?

Thanks, Bruce

titus
12-16-2001, 03:47 AM
Hello Bruce,

In general and in ideal conditions you do not need a solenoid (hello, I'm going against my business). However, it's a good thing to have around for the following reasons:

1) power outage will stop CO2 from pumping into the reactor (but it takes a while for the pressure inside your CO2 connection to die off first)

2) pH control can be done by connecting the solenoid to a pH controller. This is kind of a fail safe way of running things. Just another type of safety redundacy.

3) It allows you to simply unplug the solenoid, disconnect the CO2 line, and go change the media without having to turn off the CO2 bottle, regulator, or needle valve. This means you don't have to re-adjust your settings again. A big big big bonus with a solenoid and the most significant factor for me to decide to get one.

In any event, I see things like this as a one time investment. So you be the judge.

Silverfish
12-16-2001, 06:23 AM
Thanks Titus! images/smiles/icon_smile.gif