PDA

View Full Version : RBTA Worries

lil_clownfish13
03-16-2006, 03:23 AM
Hi All,

I was looking into purchasing an RBTA for my pair of clowns. Im just concerned about my tank only being 20 gallons (with soon to be 130 W PC) (currently 80W) and i don't have a skimmer...

what can i do that would give me the best possible chance at anemone survival, cuz if i can't do it... i wont bother buying one... too beautiful to kill!

Tina

Gazza
03-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I have the same setup - 20 gal with 130pc light, put in a 2" rbta about a year ago, now over 6" and is host for a pair of occellaris clowns. Mind you they didn't go into it for months, then one night they both went in and have never left it since.
Gazza

mr_alberta
03-16-2006, 01:30 PM
You probably could do it, but just be aware that at some point you may have to remove you anemone as it gets too large and replace it with a smaller one.

DanG
03-16-2006, 02:28 PM
With no skimmer, you really have to keep up with the water changes.

Size wise, I think you'll be fine for a while, as mr alberta said, you may have to get a new one in 9-12 months as the existing one may get too big.

OCDP
03-16-2006, 02:45 PM
You'll be fine with 130w of PC. But nothing less.

I kept many RBTA and BTA's in a 20g tank (under 130w of PC and with a Remora).. all of them thrived and grew nicely.

IMO, a skimmer is a must ... that's my opinion though. They are fairly easy to keep, but without a skimmer.. I'd say it will make it a little more challenging.

Stability is key with these creatures as well. Which as you know is hard to maintain in small systems.

In short, it can be done, and it's pretty easy.. just need the right stuff to make things go smoothly.