PDA

View Full Version : A point to ponder...

Gnu-reefer
03-16-2006, 01:05 AM
I was in one of the local SW stores tonight (calgary) not going to mention which one, but the owner made a good point, if we all keep buying stuff online and dont support our local fish stores, there not going to be around for much longer...what are u going to do when the only place you can get livestock from is riverfront......:| also, what am i going to do when i dont feel like working, and feel like hitting up all the sw shops?!?

Invigor
03-16-2006, 01:15 AM
tell the sw stores to start selling premium dog food to make up for the profit they're going to lose by making their sw stuff more compedatively priced.

prosnow
03-16-2006, 01:23 AM
Lmfao..i try and support my local fish stores, but mainly one...8-10 bucks for live rock is just NUTS!

AndyL
03-16-2006, 01:33 AM
Can I be honest? What a crock!

I don't think any of us exclusively shop online, in most cases some of the bigger hardware purchases are from e-vendors, as the local shops can be more than double the price. But the majority of us still shop local for livestock (some exceptions, but generally that's because it's not something found locally).

If they want our buisness, they need to be reasonably priced, they need a decent inventory, and be willing to do special orders. Many of our local shops aren't, they can't expect undivided loyalty if they aren't willing. Virtually all of my hardware comes from one shop, my current livestock was litterally split between all 4 (now 3) stores. The one's which had the stock I wanted, at a price I was willing to pay, got the buisness... Those which didn't - didn't.

We're going to see even more pressure put on the local shops, look at edmonton's recent explosion of online retailers based in edmonton. I'm sure calgary is going to see the same in the not too distant future.

Andy

Skimmer Juice
03-16-2006, 01:56 AM
I have not seen anywhere to order fish from online that ships to canada.I buy everything from one store.Atleast if you go to the store you get to look at what your buying in person.I also agree with some store charge way to much for certain things.That is why I stick to one store.

Richard_Dicosimo
03-16-2006, 05:56 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23698

Richard

midgetwaiter
03-16-2006, 06:16 AM
I've made this point before and it hasn't really generated a lot of useful discussion.

Lots of retailers are under pressure from online and big box stores, not just pet stores. For a small shop to order a pallet of protien skimmers and get the wholesale pricing that allow them to compete with an online store you are going to put a good week's worth of sales revenue into that order. You have to move them fast for that work. It's a difficult situation and there is no simple solution.

I have experience with all sides of this issue, I still do buy stuff online but at least 75% of my spending goes local. I make that call because I don't want to see the small shops that started me in the hobby go away.

Special orders are tough too. If you want something that is available through a regular supplier it shouldn't be too difficult for a store to do that and I'd be surpised if you were refused. If you want an item that can't be combined with a regular order though, it won't happen. There is no way you can have something shipped by itself and recover the costs (shipping, cites, time etc) at a price someone would be willing to pay. Same reason we all do group orders. An online retialer, usually based in a larger center, has the pontential market to make stocking more unusual items work, Calgary doesn't.

Prosnow mentioned the live rock example. Well you aren't going to get that $4 price if you try and get 3 pounds, which is the way a lot of people buy rock. I'll bet if you asked your local store to get an extra box of rock for you the next time they order you might get a better deal. Provided you pick up the box as soon as it arrives and don't want to cherry pick the best of the shipment of course.

vertex
03-16-2006, 06:24 AM
I agree with midgetwaiter. I think people fall back to online stores to quickly when the local shops will often do there best to provide similar product or service. (salt orders or large clean up crews?) If people are too picky in the stores, then expect to pay for that. If the local fish stores, simply put pictures of all there corals at the cash out, and you paid and then got to see it, I'm sure they would sell everything easier with less losses.(with better prices) But as long as people can "window shop" and pick the best items only, expect to pay for that service.

I personally have bought 100% of my freshwater and saltwater either from other hobbiests directly or from local fish stores. I don't care to support the online stores if I can get the same things locally with better service and personal selection.

Either way, the hobby is growing, some stores have closed so I think the SW market in Calgary will be fine this next year. But, ya I'll keep supporting the local stores, I hope others consider the same.

Deathstar
03-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi guys,

I buy about 25% online 25% from other reefers and 50% at my LFS. I know that some of the LFS have real high prices and I have picked up a few things that I was told were something ells, I guess I should have know but what can you do. The reason I buy online is that not everything is available at my LFS and they can not order it for me.

That is just my $.02:mrgreen:

Eric

BMW Rider
03-16-2006, 03:32 PM
By far, the majority of my livestock has been local purchases. I have got in on a few group orders for items that I have not been able to find locally. For the most part, it is not worth the cost of shipping to me to order from online stores. I don't generally purchase multiple items which is the only way to make the shipping cost worthwhile. I generally buy one or two at a time. I does irk me though to see the prices of local livestock compared to prices from online retailers. I can certainly understand a slightly higher price, but not what is often being asked. Local retailers need to remember that they are competing with those online shops and set their prices accordingly. The consumer will go where it is cheapest, thats the bottom line regardless of the industry. We are not typically a barter society, so many of us will see a listed price and walk away. If you post a price that is fair in the first place. I might just buy it from you, I don't want to haggle over it. I've even had one store ask me to pay more for an item once it was bagged because they noticed it had a hitchiker on it. As for getting the local shop to bring in special order items, I've asked for that and never got what I asked for. It was those items that I bought through group orders or individual online purchases. If I don't see it in any local shops now, I will just go where I can get it when i want it.

It would be a shame to lose our local shops, we are allready minus one recdently. But, if the online suppliers continue to outperform the locals in price, selection and availability and often quality, then so be it.