PDA

View Full Version : just some pics of our tank stuff

pandafishowner
03-15-2006, 08:22 PM
These are pics of stuff from my hubby's tank. It's only a 10 gallon right now, but we're upgrading soon (we hope). he wants it to be a mostly corals only with a little rock and the clown and firefish (that keeps hiding lol)

this is his xenia and gsp
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/onebunnnywuv/swpics001.jpg

this is the hairy mushrooms and kenya tree
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/onebunnnywuv/swpics002.jpg

this is our clown and his purple tip anemone (he only recently started hosting, last 3 days maybe)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/onebunnnywuv/swpics003.jpg

here's the entire tank. it looks really bare, and the anemone does some funky sucking itself in and then expanding beautifully thing. :)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/onebunnnywuv/swpics004.jpg

sorry for the blurriness. i tried focusing but its not the greatest camera.

nanoreefer
03-15-2006, 08:50 PM
how long has your tank been set up? and what lighting are you useing?

pandafishowner
03-15-2006, 08:56 PM
the tank water had been established for about a year. we took it from the big tank. i can't remember what the light is though.

TheReefGeek
03-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Is that 10g plumbed into a larger setup? Doesn't look like a lot of rock in there for denitrification.

pandafishowner
03-15-2006, 09:37 PM
no, its a stand alone. they're not this weeks current pics. we do have more rock. 5lbs of it right now. we have 20lbs of uncured rock that we're working on getting cured right now :)

Willow
03-15-2006, 09:40 PM
hey arent you addidias's gf?

TheReefGeek
03-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Gotcha, good stuff.

Is your lighting good enough for your anemone?

pandafishowner
03-15-2006, 10:08 PM
hahahahaha. No i'm not adidas's girlfriend. My husband is his best friend though, and we share a house :) He lives up, we live down :D Thanks for the giggle though.

and yes ReefGeek, the lighting is perfect :D It was under flourescents at the store

TheReefGeek
03-15-2006, 10:33 PM
But what lighting are you using?

Just because it survived a few days or weeks in the fish store under fluorescent lighting does not mean it will have long term success unfortunatley.

pandafishowner
03-15-2006, 10:44 PM
not sure what the flourescent light wattage is, think its around 100+ though? We got the anemone from Golds. we asked whether it would be okay under flourescent lighting we got it at the beginning of the month and our plan was for about a month we'd leave it in the 10g until we upgrade to a better tank and can set up our 250w MH light. i don't know who it was that served us though. he said it would be fine tho :) there were 2 of the anemones. there was a smaller on hubby wanted but he gave us this one (double the size the one we'd wanted and didnt notice til we got home). we're just waiting to find a good deal on the type of tank we want while our rock cures and we can put it in :)

TheReefGeek
03-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Ok, the upgrade to MH is a great choice.

FYI, "fluorescent" lighting also varies in PAR a lot depending on what type of fluorescent. You have NO, VHO, PC, and T5 in increasing order of PAR (measure of "amount" of light basically)per watt. So a watt is not a watt, it depends on a lot more.

pandafishowner
03-15-2006, 11:03 PM
ok lol in that case, I have absolutely no idea, but I'll check tonight after we turn the light off :)

TheReefGeek
03-15-2006, 11:06 PM
To simplify, get MH and you won't be dissapointed, and your anemone will love you forever and ever, or at least until you die, because it can outlive you. :mrgreen:

pandafishowner
03-15-2006, 11:13 PM
lol, for the time being, my hubby took it upstairs just in case. of course, if adidas's clowns host it, they'll be mighty mad when we take it back when we finish our tank upgrades :D

pandafishowner
03-15-2006, 11:38 PM
have an MH lighting question. was looking on ebay. would something like this work?

250 Watt HPS Standard Grow Light Bulb - 28,500 Lumens ??

TheReefGeek
03-15-2006, 11:56 PM
No, a grow bulb will be REALLY yellow, make your tank look like pee. And it won't give your corals enough of the blue light spectrum to be healthy.

You can use cheaper ballasts from lighting stores to run proper color temperature bulbs though.

What size tank are you wanting to upgrade to? A single MH bulb covers about 24" of length.

pandafishowner
03-15-2006, 11:58 PM
we have our eye on a 33 gallon bow front that petsmart had. we want a bow front for sure, as long as it's 20gallons and up, preferably bigger though.