PDA

View Full Version : Difference between DE & HQI

b_james
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Is there any difference?

mr_alberta
03-14-2006, 06:32 PM
HQI is actually misinterpreted to mean DE. HQI is just a line of bulbs by Sylvania IIRC and comes in both SE and DE configurations.

TheReefGeek
03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Wow, didn't know that.

So for most reefers they mean the same thing, as in if they say DE, they mean HQI.

mr_alberta
03-14-2006, 06:55 PM
I also should note that HQI stands for Halogen Quartz Iodide or something like that.

b_james
03-15-2006, 04:35 PM
HQI is actually misinterpreted to mean DE. HQI is just a line of bulbs by Sylvania IIRC and comes in both SE and DE configurations.

So a DE bulb should work in a HQI fixture? And because they are the same they would both have similar output ratings? I always here people saying that HQI perform similar to a bulb with a higher wattage but with less power consumption. If DE are essentially the same thing then it opens up more options for me:smile:

Delphinus
03-15-2006, 04:51 PM
DE lamps use different ballasts. The ballasts are often referred to as "HQI" but "HQI" is used to describe a lot of things. In 250W it means ANSI M80 ballast, but there's no such thing as 400W HQI, but the term is still used. A 400W HQI ballast is really a ballast for a 430W HPS lamp but can be used on a 400W MH lamp. I don't know what ballasts are used for 400W DE lamps.

Anyhow you can run a SE bulb on an M80 ballast. The technical details get quite into the nitty gritty, but basically the voltages and amperages and whatever else is used to drive these lamps are done so at levels closer to European specs, so these tend to be "more optimal" ballasts for a lot of our lights we use in this hobby, because those bulbs tend to come from Europe in the first place (well, originally they did, anyhow, or so I've come to understand). You have to of course understand it's not a fair apples to apples comparison because European electricity is not the same as North American electricity. :lol: 50Hz vs 60Hz, 110V vs 220V, etc. etc. etc.

Confused yet? I sure am. Let me try again:
- 250W DE isn't really brighter than say 400W. That's a bit of an urban myth. But the reflectors tend to be very good, so you get a very focused light out of a good DE fixture whereas you might not get that same focus out of a cheap SE reflector.
- DE lamps tend to have a lower profile fixture so they are better in some applications, for sure.
- DE lamps require a "HQI" ballast but the term "HQI" is potentially being misapplied. For a 250W DE lamp you want an ANSI M80 ballast, for a 150W DE lamp you want an ANSI M81 ballast. You can call these ballasts "HQI" and people will know what you mean.
- There's no rule saying you can't try to run a SE lamp on one of these ballasts. In some cases (or all cases (??), I don't know) you will get improved performance on a SE lamp using these ballasts because the ballast is "driving" the lamp (probably not the best term to use, but I'll use it anyhow) closer to its original specs than other ballasts.

b_james
03-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Holy geez:crazyeye:

So if I understand this properly I should be able to use a DE bulb in my Aqualight Pro HQI fixture with no noticable change in output performance?

Delphinus
03-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Um .. Ok now I'm confused. Doesn't that fixture already use DE (double-ended) lamps? Or are you asking if you can use a SE (single-ended) lamp in there?

OCDP
03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Yup, Aqualight Pro's run off of DE bulbs.

TheReefGeek
03-15-2006, 05:36 PM
The only bulb type you can run in that fixture is a 150w DE. You can pick your brand of DE bulb and the color temperature.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-16-2006, 07:23 AM
HQI - Mercury (Hg) Quartz Iodide

HQI I believe come in both SE & DE.

Somebody asked me tonight so I googled it.

StirCrazy
03-16-2006, 01:40 PM
HQI - Mercury (Hg) Quartz Iodide

HQI I believe come in both SE & DE.

Somebody asked me tonight so I googled it.

Bingo :mrgreen:

Ok Like Delphinus and other have said, the term HQI is abused and not used properly at all in our industry. The HQI ballast is built to replicate German reactor type ballast outputs and comes in several different wattages, 50W , 70W, 150W, and 250W. (If they are making a 400W now I have never seen it) but I believe they use the Son Agro ballast for the 400 watt HQI (DE) but I am not sure.

now a 250W HQI ballast will drive any 250W bulb on the market but a DE bulb has to be driven by a HQI ballast. make sense?:mrgreen:

so there is a difference in the bulbs a DE needs a DE holder, they are smaller profile and will put out close to the same light as most 400W set ups, but a 250 watt (quality bulb) SE run on a HQI ballast will put out more light than than most 400W systems and with reflectors thrown in the results can be amazing.

the DE bulb is great for tight spots, smaller tanks (less of a foot print to run say 2" x 2" at a max) where the SE will light a 3ft x 3ft spot with about the same amount of light intensity. Also there are a lot more choices in lights on the SE side but DE is getting better.

Steve

b_james
03-16-2006, 05:46 PM
So a 250HQI would put out more light that a 400W SE of equivilent spectrum?

So if I upgrade my 150HQI aqualight to a 250HQI aqualight, is it like running 400W SE light system but only drawing 250watts of power?

I always thought it was just a typical "sales pitch" when they say a 150HQI performes to a standard 250W MH.

TheReefGeek
03-16-2006, 05:49 PM
I can't believe a 250 DE would put out the par of a 400w SE, I am going to look for some studies.

Samw
03-16-2006, 06:27 PM
RE: Studies...

I found this interesting.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/select2lamp.php

In the case of 250W bulbs, I noticed that the SE bulb produced more par than the DE bulb given ALL ELSE EQUAL.

In other words, when you: pick the same wattage for both sides (250W) and pick the same ballast for both sides, and pick the same K rating on both sides, and then pick SE on one side and DE on the other side, you'll see that the SE bulb produced more par. This was the case for 14 random configurations that I checked out last year using the above link. (NOTE, don't forget to pick 'N' for the shielded drop down box for the SE bulb)

Here's another interesting research article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2004/reviewb.htm

"Comparing the data here and other 250W DE articles with the data for 250W Mogul lamps, should provide enough factual information to dispel the myth that 250W DE lamps produce more light output than the 250W single ended mogul lamps. A general sweeping statement to this effect cannot be made, and depends on the lamp under consideration."

I haven't looked at 250W DE vs 400W SE comparisons but I'm sure someone else can.