PDA

View Full Version : Fish territories

mr_alberta
03-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi all,

I've just aquired a new fish that, unfortunately, is getting picked on big time by my existing 6-line and PB tang. Anyhow, what I would like to do is remove those 2 fish and introduce the new one, and, at a later time, re-introduce the other two fish.

Now, my question is, how long does it take a fish to forget its territories? A week? 2 weeks? A month? I've already re-aquascaped the rocks a little bit, and I can't really do much more as I don't have that many rocks. Currently my new fish lives in the overflow and calls bits of PVC his home :cry: . Any help or incite would be greatly appreciated.

Whoop, I should mention that the new fish is a Yellow Fin Fairy Wrasse.

Snappy
03-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Harvey,
I would put the new fish into a floating basket and let the new fish get used to it. This way they can see it but can't get at it and the novelty wears off. Keep it in there for a week to ten days and in theory you should have no problems after that. This has worked for me in the past.
If that doesn't work, you definately have the room for more rock, thus creating more hiding spots and that way the fish don't always see each other 24/7.

TheReefGeek
03-13-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't know how long it takes for fish to "forget" their territories, but one thing that helped me when my 6-line started becoming agressive towards my anthias was to spend a couple hours with the net, everytime the wrasse chased my anthias, he got the net swooshed at him to scare him into the rocks.

Did this repeatedly and after a couple hours the 6-line figured out not to bother my anthias. Make sure you wait till the fish actually commits the "offense" and just have the net ready hovering in the top of the tank.

Sounds strange, but it worked for me.

Delphinus
03-13-2006, 03:47 PM
I've generally heard that 6lines, particularly as they get older, don't ever really play nice with other wrasses. I'm sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't know if remixing rocks to enforce a new territorial boundary will really work (it might work for the tang, however). The problem with wrasses is that they cohabit the same niche (i.e. compete for the same foods) and a pecking order seems to be important to them.

If it was me, the ace I'd keep up my sleeve is to plan to keep them in separate tanks if need be. And besides, you can't honestly expect us to believe you have one tank, right? Or at least if you do, you can't possibly be satisfied with one tank, right? And if you are, then ... um ... please tell me your secret :p

mr_alberta
03-13-2006, 04:00 PM
If it was me, the ace I'd keep up my sleeve is to plan to keep them in separate tanks if need be. And besides, you can't honestly expect us to believe you have one tank, right? Or at least if you do, you can't possibly be satisfied with one tank, right? And if you are, then ... um ... please tell me your secret :p

Hey Tony,

I actually DO only have ONE tank :eek: that I am quite satisfied with :eek: :eek:

The secret is to be broke all the time and find a job that doesn't pay well! :lol: OOh, now I've made myself sad :cry: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies thus far gentlemen. :biggrin:

Delphinus
03-13-2006, 04:09 PM
People can be in this hobby with just one tank? :eek: Man alive, why didn't someone tell me that years ago! Argh! :lol:

Anyhow, good luck. Naturally, it is worth the effort to try to rescape and reintroduce.. Hope it works.

j83
03-13-2006, 04:25 PM
I would have to agree with Tony - not sure if you are ever going to be able to get your six-line to behave with another wrasse. Good luck though!

Skimmerking
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Harvey for What its worth I had a 6 line and a yellow coris and a leopard wrasse all in a 80 gal tank with lots of rock and the 6 line picked on the yellow all the time

Beverly
03-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I'd get rid of the six line and keep the fairy wrasse. IME, fairy wrasses are less aggressive, overall, than six lines.

I'm a little surprised that your tang is going after the fairy wrasse. In everyone's experiences, are tangs intolerant of wrasses?

Snappy
03-13-2006, 11:47 PM
I have a blue tang and yellow tang as well as a six line wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse all together in the same tank. The 6 line used to chase the coris until the coris considerably outgrew it. I am serious about the floating basket idea, it really works. It usually takes about a week for fish to get accepted in this way.