PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

J Feez
03-13-2006, 03:21 AM
hey everyone,

I just wanted to get some opinions from everyone about what I should do next with my tank, a.k.a. what you would do with my tank?

Here's what I've got so far:

- 39 gallon w/ approx. 39lbs of LR
- Sea Clone 100 skimmer
- Jager 250 watt heater
- 2 x Maxi-Jet 400's
- Regent 150 filter
- 2" crush coral substrate
- 2 false percula clowns (approx. 1" each)
- 3 algea eating hermits
- 2 turbo snails
- 1 sand sifting starfish
- 1 sebae anenome
- 1 colt coral

I really want to get a center piece fish. Something like a Flame Angel. Anyways, any advice is much appreciated.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-13-2006, 03:52 AM
Decide what type of tank you're wanting to achieve. If it's gonna be a softies oriented reef or LPS or SPS? Do you want to keep shrimp? These decisions will let you know what type of lighting (although with an anemone I assume you already have MH) you'll need & what type of fish can go into the setup. Certain fish are semi-reef-safe (ie. flame angel) so if you want the type of coral those fish love to pick at, then those species of fish or coral will have to be excluded. Colts are generally left alone by most fish so you should be safe there. 38g is also not very much volume so dwarf angels are probably a good choice for a center piece fish. You can also look into the Lamark's or Watanabe species of angels that aren't coral eaters.

Most tangs will outgrow your tank fairly quickly.

Anthony

J Feez
03-13-2006, 04:18 AM
I knew I forgot to add something to my list. I have a CoraLife 36" T-5 w/ 10,000K Daylight and true actinic blue florescent. I believe this is enough for my anenome because it's gotten really big since I bought it.

You're right about choosing the type of tank. I really have no idea what route I want to go. Right now I dont' have the money to buy some really good lights, but I'd like to keep some coral's in the tank besides my colt coral.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-13-2006, 04:38 AM
In general, most newbies start with softies, because they're easier to keep & they need less light & can withstand lower water quality than LPS or SPS. Zoos & mushrooms & leathers fall in this category. Fiji Yellow leathers are the exception & need high light or they turn brown. Start with some frags from local reefers & that'll keep the cost down & improve your chances, as well as keep you from risking the life of more expensive, harder to keep wild harvested corals.