PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in Calgary want to start a club?

Bob I
11-30-2001, 08:42 PM
I have been wondering if anyone in Calgary wants to start a club. I am tired of operating in a vacuum. If even a few people get together, we could trade things. We could also form a co-operative for buying things. Any mutual support group would be great.

Troy F
11-30-2001, 08:53 PM
Hi Bob, welcome to Canreef, glad to have you aboard. Tell us a little about your tank.

Bob I
11-30-2001, 11:12 PM
I have one 33 gal with a 10 gallon refugium. The main tank has LR and two Ocellaris clowns, one two year old Cleaner wrasse, one Bicolor Blenny, one Cherub Angel, One Cleaner Shrimp. and two Peppermint Shrimp. The refugium has a 5" DSB, One Camel Shrimp, and four kinds of Caulerpa I just got the other day. I also have a 15H nano reef with Frilly Mushrooms (sp?), green Star Polyps, and some Zoanthids, one tank raised ocellaris clown and one yellow Coris wrasse, and one Coral Banded Shrimp. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

titus
12-02-2001, 04:28 AM
Hey Bob,

I used to hang around a newsgroup I believe to be rec.aquaria.marine.reefs

There were a few people from the Calgary/Edmonton area and maybe you can invite some of them from there. If you have a few buddies, I can setup a forum for you guys.

But please e-mail me for that as I have a high chance of missing people's post. I don't know when I'll here the next time.

Titus

Delphinus
12-02-2001, 06:12 PM
There are about a half dozen people in Calgary who are active on the 'net, and a few more who lurk but never make their presense known.

I'm in Calgary and am always on the lookout for people to trade frags with. Drop me a line sometime.

DJ88
12-02-2001, 06:25 PM
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the Board. Nice to see there is a group forming a bit EAST I SAY!!! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif of us. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The more the merrier. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Troy F
12-02-2001, 10:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quoteNice to see there is a group forming a bit west of us.

Darren, you obviously weren't in charge of navigation in the navy images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif . You'd have to go a long way west to get to Calgary from here images/smiles/icon_razz.gif images/smiles/icon_wink.gif .

DJ88
12-02-2001, 11:35 PM
What are you talking abotu Willis? images/smiles/icon_razz.gif images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Troy F
12-03-2001, 12:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJ88:
What are you talking abotu Willis? images/smiles/icon_razz.gif images/smiles/icon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm

images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif Calgary is east of us (*cough) images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DJ88
12-03-2001, 12:07 AM
That is what it says.. Take a peek.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Acro
12-03-2001, 01:04 AM
whats that edited by thing mean?

Troy F
12-03-2001, 02:01 AM
images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DJ88
12-03-2001, 02:08 AM
Damn.. you guys are too quick for me.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

" I am so smart, I am so smart, S M R T, I mean S M A R T."

lol

Delphinus
12-03-2001, 03:15 AM
Bah, east, west ... after the Grey Cup it all seems a bit confusing (what? Winnipeg is in "eastern" Canada? eh? Ok, time to admit I don't understand football) images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the welcome, BTW. cheers

DJ88
12-03-2001, 03:23 AM
Tony,

Love the sig line..

Troy,

Wanna know what is scary? I was the Navigation/Acoustic tech on ship..

I fixed the stuff that told us where we were and where we were going.. lol..

titus
12-03-2001, 04:22 AM
Hello Bob,

Mr. Russ Soukoreff <russ@xytech.com>, from Edmonton may have more details for you about the clubs.

Titus

Dolf
12-05-2001, 06:18 PM
Sounds good- not much to trade yet, but working on it. Co-operative sounds good. so far I have not sent away for anything due to the shipping costs etc...

Hornford
12-10-2001, 09:14 PM
I'm interested - new to reefs and very interested

Dolf
12-13-2001, 12:39 AM
Hope some of you are still reading this thread. Sometime in late Jan or early Feb I plan on placing an order with a company called Invert-ual Realities based in Thornhill Ont. If anyone has delt with them please let me know. They seem to have a good selection and some is well priced, some I think you could find cheaper here in town. Their internet address is www.interlog.com/~invertca/index.htm (http://www.interlog.com/~invertca/index.htm)
Anyhow, I will submit the info to them mid Jan to get a shipping price, so let me know if you are interested. On top of that this will get the page to the top of the board again! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: dan150 ]

canadawest
12-13-2001, 01:45 AM
Hey Dan,

Also be sure to check the prices against J&L Aquatics here in Coquitlam, and Aquariumpros.ca in Ontario. Both are mail-order LFS, and both are very competitive with the pricing.

Just my $0.02 as I'm a big bargain shopper!

Delphinus
12-13-2001, 02:31 AM
As a matter of fact I have bought once from Invertual Realities, my carpet came from him.

I have no complaints about the quality of the I purchased although it was only 1 thing (I still have my carpet, 18 months later) or the service, with one little ... tiny ... exception. This is a hobby business for him (at least it was back then, ... he had just taken over the site from a friend, the site had actually gone out of business for at least a year before that). His RealJob(tm) is somehow in the trades (carpenter, cabinet maker, something like that, can't remember exactly) and at least back then when I bought this carpet he was HOPPING busy. So as such, I had to wait incredible amounts of time to get replies to my emails (and I mean, weeks in some cases), and since there's no phone number on the site (or at least, there wasn't back then) that was the only means of communicating.

So bottom line, as long as you can get ahold of the guy, things ought to be fine. But be prepared to be patient, and don't take it personally if he doesn't reply in a timely manner ... he's not ignoring you he's likely just working 16-18 hour days and not checking his email. (It's for this reason I'm a bit surprised he's still operating the site ... if I had to work like that all day and run a shop on top of that ... I couldn't do it.)

With that all said, though ... I should mention that I actually deal with SaltwaterConnection.com (http://www.saltwaterconnection.com) as my first place to get things ... I have bought from there at least 10 times now over the last 2 or 3 years and will continue to do so ... prices are actually quite decent. I have yet to purchase anything from J&L, but I have talked them on the phone and I certainly wouldn't tell anyone to stay away from there... your mileage may vary of course.

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: delphinus ]

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Dolf
12-15-2001, 11:42 PM
Quick- somebody else post a reply in the new forum Titus opened called Calgary reefing club before he closes it for lack of interest! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

titus
12-16-2001, 03:52 AM
Hello,

That's right. This board is here for your good use. If there's no one using it,....