PDA

View Full Version : white growth on live rock

Montana
03-12-2006, 05:15 PM
I have some white growth on my live rock . I added the rock a month ago is this a calcium issue or is this part of th curing stage. some purple growth is now coming through the white stuff. all levels are good

mr_alberta
03-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Can you post a picture of the "growth?"

Montana
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
hope these help

untamed
03-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Are you sure that white stuff is alive in some way? It looks (to me) a lot like bare, dead rock. It's possible that the coraline covering has been killed off. What I'm trying to say is...that is what the rock would look like if it were completely barren of life. If that is the case, there's not much you need to do except wait for the tank to stabilize and the coraline will regrow.

If it is fuzzy, white then it could be a kind of mold that is common when you add new LR. If so, blow it off with a baster.

Jaws
03-12-2006, 08:45 PM
I agree. It doesn't necessarily even have to be dead. If that part of the rock was hidden from any kind of light then it will look completely white. If I ever change my rock around, anything that wasn't exposed to light before will look like that until various forms of algae start growing on it from the light.

fishmanty
03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Thats what I find the inside of my rocks look like... like when I accidently break off a side or piece, it looks nearly identical to that...

Montana
03-12-2006, 09:05 PM
thanks i wasn't worried yet it was just something i havent seen before, so thanks for the moral booster