PDA

View Full Version : Using real salt water in Vancouver

Mike Olson
03-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Has anyone in Vancouver tried using real saltwater for water changes? I would assume it would be collected offshore....there is such a plankton rich source at our doorstep

dirtyreefer
03-11-2006, 06:11 AM
There is also a nutrient/pollution rich source at our doorstep as well. Would you risk your system that probably cost you thousands of dollars for a little extra plankton? :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2006, 06:17 AM
The Vancouver Aquarium, I've been told, will sell you a tanker of filtered seawater but I think you have to order 100s of gallons at least. Even they think straight seawater from these parts are not a good idea, so I wouldn't either.

Anthony

Bryan
03-11-2006, 06:53 AM
As well the salintiy of the water is around 1.018, you would need to collect from the west side of Vacouver Island to get a higher salinity from what I have been told.

Mike Olson
03-11-2006, 07:04 AM
I was curious because of story on ReefCentral about a number of people using seawater a mile off the coast of New York City for the past few years with no ill effects. I wish I could set up a 20G and see...I would think the water on the NW coast of the island would be a better choice...its not like ther is such a thing as clean seawater in any ocean in the world! I know, not the same as a tank!

Static
03-11-2006, 07:52 AM
I would be worried about the plankton that's used to temperate waters dieing off when the temperature is rased for your reef tank.

i have crabs
03-11-2006, 01:12 PM
just fill up a 20g with fish and inverts off the vancouver shore since they will be used to living in the "poluted water"

Chin_Lee
03-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Anthony
do you know how much they sell 100 gallon for?

The Vancouver Aquarium, I've been told, will sell you a tanker of filtered seawater but I think you have to order 100s of gallons at least. Even they think straight seawater from these parts are not a good idea, so I wouldn't either.

Anthony

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Not sure Chin, but I think it wasn't just for 100g. You had to order 500+g if I remember correctly. cc_bruno was looking into it & if I remember correctly, it would have worked out to almost the same as buying salt mix, maybe a little cheaper. I'll ask him & send you the details.

Anthony

christyf5
03-11-2006, 07:36 PM
I was using NSW when I first started out. The stuff I was using was filtered and pasteurized and it grew algae like you wouldn't believe. Personally I wouldn't recommend it unless you're getting it from way offshore and down deep.

Christy :)