PDA

View Full Version : what to get also

fishguyxd
03-11-2006, 12:42 AM
what is a real good sand sifter goby or otherwise type fish?

Joe Reefer
03-11-2006, 01:15 AM
The best sand sifting goby I have had has been a Diamond Goby. Munched on sand 24/7. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=220

I have also had experience with a yellow headed sleeper, he also sifted very good but had a bad habbit of swimming up while sand was still coming out of his gills covering my precious corals.

G1GY
03-11-2006, 03:38 AM
Sleeper goby's sift sand 24/7 also.

shadowboy
03-11-2006, 04:59 AM
unfortunetly sleeper gobies take all the goos stuff out of your sand and the end up dying from having no food. If its for keeping the sand clean,try a tiger tail cuke, ive had one for a year and a half and love it, also mabye some conch, they are excellent...if you want a fish though...i really dont know..
tb

G1GY
03-11-2006, 06:03 AM
unfortunetly sleeper gobies take all the goos stuff out of your sand and the end up dying from having no food. If its for keeping the sand clean,try a tiger tail cuke, ive had one for a year and a half and love it, also mabye some conch, they are excellent...if you want a fish though...i really dont know..
tb

Don't know where you got the info on sleeper gobies.

They do sift throught the sand and feed on what they find in it, but they also eat most dry and frozen foods that you would feed the rest of the fish. As for stripping all of the life from the live sand. Maybe if you tried to keep one in a nano, but if your tank is 33 gallon + there will not be a problem at all. (I kept one in a 33 for a few years.)

If you do keep cukes, be vary sure that they can't end up getting caught in a powerhead or something. They have a tendancy to turn from cukes to nukes! :)

seashells
03-11-2006, 06:29 AM
We finally gave away a sleeper goby. He was real good at turning up the bottom. He was a voracious feeder. Doubled in size in about 3 months. Would eat mysis, blood worms, flake foods just about anything. At first he was really interesting to watch. Just the amount of sand he would move. Then anything we put in the sand he would try to bury. Could not put clams or much of anything in the sand with him around.

Doug