PDA

View Full Version : Big AL's is gone?

bulletsworld
03-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Is this true? No more Big Al's in Calgary? Or is it just moving to a new location?

Psyire
03-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Gone unless someone else decides to startup a new store.

Bob I
03-10-2006, 09:26 PM
From what I gather they are bankrupt, so gone forever.

SJSobczyk
03-10-2006, 09:30 PM
From what I gather they are bankrupt, so gone forever.

The owners went bankrupt not Big Al's. The franchise is still for sale.

Steve

bulletsworld
03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Very interesting... thanks for letting me know. Not that I really went to the BA's in Calgary but I wondered if it will be a continual thing with this company and the B.A's in Edmonton will shut down. That would be sad, since we really have no stores (only BA & AI) as it is, here in Edmonton.

Hmm..

Guess I better move to Calgary then. :lol:

mark
03-10-2006, 09:52 PM
In Edmonton take a look at Natures Corner Store (91St/51Ave)

Starting up, relocation whatever but they have SW. Stock seems in good shape.

Bob I
03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
The owners went bankrupt not Big Al's. The franchise is still for sale.

Steve

Of course. That is what I meant to say. I realise BA the chain is still going.:mrgreen:

bulletsworld
03-10-2006, 10:03 PM
In Edmonton take a look at Natures Corner Store (91St/51Ave)

Starting up, relocation whatever but they have SW. Stock seems in good shape.

I have never heard of this store before.. I can't even find a listing for them.

Is it just SW or is it a complete pet store kinda thing

Bob I
03-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Hmm..

Guess I better move to Calgary then. :lol:
:multi::multi::multi:

mark
03-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Mostly fresh (and lots of plants), some salt plus feeders and seed for wild birds.

When I was there last week probably 10+ species of SWF, clams, anemones, soft corals, LPS. Didn't see anything exotic nor huge quantity but a nice, varied selection.

Prices good, a green open brain was going for about $20 cheaper, cleaner shrimp ~$10 less than the other stores you mentioned in Edm.

http://www.natures.citymax.com/page/page/2469882.htm

bulletsworld
03-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Mostly fresh (and lots of plants), some salt plus feeders and seed for wild birds.

When I was there last week probably 10+ species of SWF, clams, anemones, soft corals, LPS. Didn't see anything exotic nor huge quantity but a nice, varied selection.

Prices good, a green open brain was going for about $20 cheaper, cleaner shrimp ~$10 less than the other stores you mentioned in Edm.

http://www.natures.citymax.com/page/page/2469882.htm

awesome. thanks for the link. I will post back in the Edmonton section as I know others were wanting the address to.

AndyL
03-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Got to visit the edmonton stores this weekend...

Natures corner seemed pretty decent, brian was going to look into bringing in seachem salt. Good guys, nice to see they've expanded into the darkside... Like the fact that the tanks are all separate entities, and the "New arrivals not for sale" signs on many tanks.

Big als - great reminder of how much better the edmonton store was over the calgary one! So much more selection, nice lookin corals, and prices were way cheaper than what we were seeing at the local one.

That other place... 95$ for 150g of seachem salt??? You gotta be kiddin me!

Andy

Deathstar
03-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if they are going to be selling off all of there stock for cheep? There is a few tanks there I would like to buy.

Thanks,

Eric

mr_alberta
03-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Big Al's in Calgary is gone...there's just an empty retail space there now....