PDA

View Full Version : Ozone generator

deep6er
03-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Does anyone use ozone generators in there tanks??
What are the pros / cons.?
Im thinking of getting one. Is it worth it?

Bill
03-10-2006, 02:04 PM
I use one in the skimmer on my tank and it keeps the water crystal clear. Algae growth is also slowed down. Better to use a controller to prevent ORP from going too high. Also have the ozone treated water go thru some carbon to remove residual byproducts.

mr_alberta
03-10-2006, 02:15 PM
The biggest concern for using ozone is that it is a health hazard at too high doses to your tank as well as yourself.

A controller is a very good idea and ozone does polish the water (takes the yellowness out) and aids your skimmer in removing organic compounds from your tank.

Quinster
03-10-2006, 02:29 PM
I run ozone on my beckett skimmer, the skimmer drains to an auto shut off collection cup, and the vent from that cup exhausts outside of my home, and in my sump where the return water comes from the skimmer, I have a tray for carbon bags to remove any suspended ozone from the return water. I started using ozone about 4 years ago and love it.

deep6er
03-10-2006, 02:57 PM
ok good some things to think about,
Thanks!!

Jaws
03-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Ozone is agreat product and used quite a bit in higher end systems but if you get ozone into your main display it can become leathal and kill everything. On the good side, eventhough you killed everything, your water would be absolutely crystal clear. I wouldn't ever recommend it without an ORP controller and make sure you run tons of carbon before it has any chance to reach your return pump. JMO.

monza
03-10-2006, 03:40 PM
here is some reading for you......
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=770106

i have been running very small amount for about two months, i like the results so far. i like hardware and toys, it's part of the fun in this hobby for me, if your not techy and into fiddling I'd suggest leaving it alone.

Dave