PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Help!

J Feez
03-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I think my skimmer may have stopped skimming! I have a Sea Clone 100 and it seems like it is not quite doing it's job anymore. This is going to be a crude explanation, but I'll do my best.

The reason I believe it's not completely doing it's job anymore is that it has become alot quieter all of a sudden, probably due to the fact that it seems like there is no more air being pumped into the actual skimmer. As in, there is no more white "froth" inside the tube. I know the pump is still working for the most part because there is still water movement through the skimmer.

Well I hope that made just a little bit of sense. Has anyone had a similiar problem?

Thanks,

Kryten
03-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Has the air intake tubing become clogged or unattached from the intake of the power head?

adidas
03-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I had a seaclone 100 and every maybe 2-3 weeks i had to cleanout the intake tube and the sponge filter as the production would slow down. I eventually got rid of the sponge as well.

atcguy
03-09-2006, 07:10 PM
get rid of the sponge , how about the skimmer, !!! I had one as my first skimmer, today I know you cant cheap out on skimming, Have a euroreef now and have never looked back.!! I also had a prism pro. Cheap skimmers dont compare!!

OCDP
03-09-2006, 07:17 PM
As others recommended.. I'll do the same.. I think the sponge should go too. And well since it's been mentioned, the whole darn thing :razz: No, just kidding. But definitely consider it.. as skimmers are the #1 for reefs IMHO.

Remoras are cheap(ish) and very effective . (IME)

adidas
03-09-2006, 07:29 PM
The seaclone actually works ok, If you thoroughly clean it every week or two. But that is a PITA.

J Feez
03-09-2006, 09:40 PM
You know I've never heard a good thing about a Sea Clone. Even when I was buying it on boxing day, I thought I heard someone say "Oh no, he's buying a Sea Clone!". I don't think the air intake is clogged, but I'll have to do a more thorough check of it and I'll get rid of the sponge as well.

What sort of price range would I be looking at for the Skimmers mentioned above?

TheReefGeek
03-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Are you running a sump? If so check out ASM, they are same design and Euroreef but cheaper materials and cheaper price tag.

Otherwise Aqua C Remora or CPR BakPak II would be good hang-on models.

J Feez
03-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a sump. That's on the list as well though. Can those hang off the back models be put in a sump?

TheReefGeek
03-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Yeah, you can hang the skimmer off the sump, just have to make that section of the sump have a high water volume with a baffle, or drop the pump down but then you lose some efficiency.

If you are adding a sump later, hold off a skimmer purchase until you can get an in-sump model, because they are far more efficient, more skimming for your $$$.

J Feez
03-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Ok thanks for the info! However, if I can't get my skimmer working again I may have to purchase one quite quickly...

Quagmire
03-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Can those hang off the back models be put in a sump?
Yup just hang it off the sump the same as you would a tank.Maybe a bit of adjustment if your useing a rubbermaid for a sump.

TheReefGeek
03-09-2006, 10:04 PM
On a 39g, just stay on top of water changes and tank maintenance, you can go without a skimmer for a long time. Increase the frequency and % change, the skimmer is pulling waste out of your system, you can do exactly the same thing with water changes.

I would do that rather than buying a nother hang-on model if you are going to get a sump later. If "later" is a year down the road that is a bit different.

Take the skimmer off your system, take everything apart including the pump, and let it sit in vinegar water for 24hours, then take a brush and clean everything down especially the pump and the air intake. If you are not getting any foam at all, it has to be the pump or airline. You might have to buy a replacement pump. Not sure on this model, you might be able to put in a more powerfull pump and increase the skimmer performance while you are at it too.

adidas
03-09-2006, 10:37 PM
I don't think the air intake is clogged

when i had the seaclone it wasnt the air intake that was clogged, it was the pipe from the powerhead to the skimmer I had to use a pipe cleaner every 2 weeks.