PDA

View Full Version : Tang Splashing

Johnny Reefer
03-09-2006, 01:44 AM
My Powder Blue likes to splash at the surface. At first it was just along the back. I spent $100 getting some 1/2" plexi custom cut to cover the top along the back. Problem solved until the other day when "Splashy" decided to pull off it's antics at the front/right side. This is not good as my stove is right there.
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced Tangs splashing at the surface.
Is this a common trait for Tangs, or is my "Splashy" somewhat unique?
If it keeps it up I'm thinking of parting with it and getting another Tang as this is my main mechanism for algae control. But if all Tangs are known for this, well forget it.

Thanx much and cheers:smile:,

BMW Rider
03-09-2006, 02:19 AM
I've never had a tang do that, but I have a domino damsel inmy FOWLR that does the same thing. Usually only in the evening when the room is darker. I think it may be seeing its reflection in the glass and reacting to it with a show of aggression.

Psyire
03-09-2006, 03:58 AM
I've never heard of it. I'd say that this tang just found something it finds 'fun' to do. Tangs are quirky that way...

naesco
03-09-2006, 03:58 AM
It is probably one of the following in the order listed.

1. Your powder blue tang has a parasite that it is trying to get rid of.
2. Your powder blue tang is not getting enough oxygen (they are very active fish) due to a low oxygen level in your tank or it has developed some gill disease which is causing the tang problems.
3. Your tang is exercising by swimming against the current. Tangs are swimmers. That is why they need large tanks. Ony if the tang is healthy in all respects (clear eyes, active no blemishes, spots or redness on its body and its gills are healthy but your tank is small, consider giving it to someone with a large tank as you have suggested.

The reason why I think is is 1 or 2 is that powder blue tangs in particular are very difficult fish to keep. They often do well for a while and than decline for no apparent reason.

If you have not already done so, position a powerhead about 6-8 inches below the surface of the water. That provides more oxygen and gives the tang swimming exercise.
If this was a naso tang though, IME, it would be normal behaviour.

StirCrazy
03-09-2006, 05:01 AM
3. Your tang is exercising by swimming against the current. Tangs are swimmers. That is why they need large tanks. Ony if the tang is healthy in all respects (clear eyes, active no blemishes, spots or redness on its body and its gills are healthy but your tank is small, consider giving it to someone with a large tank as you have suggested.

Welcom back Naesco, his tank is a 180 and he never sugested giving it to some one with a larger tank but rather getting rid of it and getting one that doesn't splash. so I think the tosmall of tank thing is a N/A issue here.

I think I would tend to agree with you on the parrasite one, and maybe on the O2 as I can't remember if the tank is skimmed or not.

Steve

prosnow
03-09-2006, 05:07 AM
My buddys Large powder blue does that, mostly when hes eating tho...fighting all the other tangs for the nori i guess..

Johnny Reefer
03-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Welcom back Naesco, his tank is a 180 and he never sugested giving it to some one with a larger tank but rather getting rid of it and getting one that doesn't splash. so I think the tosmall of tank thing is a N/A issue here.

I think I would tend to agree with you on the parrasite one, and maybe on the O2 as I can't remember if the tank is skimmed or not.

Steve
Yes, that's correct Steve. Tank is a 180. 228 lbs of LR, so lots of room. It is skimmed with a Prizm Pro (which I'm totally unhappy with and intend to upgrade). Only other fish in the tank are 1 Yellow Tang, 4 Green Chromis, 2 False Percs and 2 Mandarins, so its not overcrowding. The surface is well agitated with two corner overflows and one of the powerheads is directed toward the surface, so I'm quite confident it isn't an O2 deficiency. Three other Maxijets and 2 Seio 1500's on the go as well, so there is lots of current for it to swim against.
That leaves the parasite theory. Seems like a pretty damn healthy Tang, all 'round. Active as heck. Grazes frequently. No blemishes. Clear eyes. (When I first got it about 10 months ago one of it's eyes was a tad cloudy and that has actually cleared). No external signs of any duress. In the 10 months I have had it I have seen it with Marine Ich only twice and both times it was minor, exhibiting only a few spots. One of those times was after the switch from the 135 to the 180.
If it is a parasite it's internal.
I'm inclined to think that it's just something that this Tang likes to do. It's not constant, but often enough to be a concern.

Cheers:smile:,

EmilyB
03-09-2006, 07:17 AM
My tangs are rarely around the surface unless I am feeding (naso and powder blue included). Are you skimming, heck yah...I hope so with those pigs ! Also tangs need a lot of food/feedings. Is he just surfing the surface for food? Do you feed nori twice daily?

StirCrazy
03-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Also tangs need a lot of food/feedings. Is he just surfing the surface for food? Do you feed nori twice daily?

you feed your tangs??:surprise:

Steve

Johnny Reefer
03-09-2006, 02:42 PM
..... Do you feed nori twice daily?
No. I don't feed Nori at all. I'll try it.
Twice a day? Seems like alot. Shouldn't it be given the chance to eat other things too?

OCDP
03-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I am no expert I am just going by what I have read...

But Tangs need nori and greens to keep healthy and thrive.. they need all sorts of greens if I remember correctly.. so yes, you should be feeding Nori...

I am definitely no Tang expert though.

Johnny Reefer
03-09-2006, 03:16 PM
....But Tangs need nori and greens to keep healthy and thrive.....
Up to now I figured the algae it eats from grazing was enough. I'll try the Nori, but if my algae starts growing thick because the Tang is full enough from the Nori then I will discontinue it.

Aquattro
03-09-2006, 06:21 PM
MArk, your tang will love some mysis also. It can't live well of algae alone, and if it can, you need to fix your algae problem.

OCDP
03-09-2006, 07:02 PM
I didn't mean to imply that they require greens and veggies only. Just to clarify.

adidas
03-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Up to now I figured the algae it eats from grazing was enough. I'll try the Nori, but if my algae starts growing thick because the Tang is full enough from the Nori then I will discontinue it.

LOL a tang TOO full of Nori???

Johnny Reefer
03-09-2006, 08:38 PM
LOL a tang TOO full of Nori???
I never said TOO full of Nori. I said full enough. Meaning that if it's going to be eating Nori then it will be MORE full on Nori and LESS inclined to eat algae. The LESS the algae gets eaten the MORE it will grow. The More the algae grows, the LESS inclined I will be to continue the Nori.

Scott: I know you weren't implying that Tangs need only greens and neither was I. When I said that I thought the algae would be enough, I was refering to the green part of their diet. My fish also get Rotifers, Cyclopeeze, Formulas 1 & 2 and occaisionally mysis. I could probably ramp the mysis up a bit. Just really concerned about overfeeding as my skimmer is a pece of crap!

Skimmerking
03-09-2006, 10:44 PM
ya my lavender tang does the same thing along with my koran its funny when imake a trip downstairs to feed them they scoot across the tank to meet me and then once i get the nori by the water they are splashing funny as hell ...

Johnny Reefer
03-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Well I got some Nori. Clipped it in. And.....nothin'. Not even a sniff. The Yellow isn't interested either. I guess they've never seen it or eaten it before. Oh, well.
BTW "Splashy" hasn't splashed in a couple of days.

naesco
03-10-2006, 03:19 AM
I never said TOO full of Nori. I said full enough. Meaning that if it's going to be eating Nori then it will be MORE full on Nori and LESS inclined to eat algae. The LESS the algae gets eaten the MORE it will grow. The More the algae grows, the LESS inclined I will be to continue the Nori.

Scott: I know you weren't implying that Tangs need only greens and neither was I. When I said that I thought the algae would be enough, I was refering to the green part of their diet. My fish also get Rotifers, Cyclopeeze, Formulas 1 & 2 and occaisionally mysis. I could probably ramp the mysis up a bit. Just really concerned about overfeeding as my skimmer is a pece of crap!

Thanks Stir.
Yes, Johnny you need to feed the fish nori. An alternative are the Wardleys spirulina discs. They are hard and they drop to the bottom and don't mess up the tank.
If your skimmer is weak, try using the powerhead as suggested. It will increase the level of oxygen and tangs love swimming against it.
Tangs (not all) are reef fish. They graze in areas where the waves are hitting the reef. (lots of oxygen). You will notice the difference in the fish.

Johnny Reefer
03-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Yes, Johnny you need to feed the fish nori. An alternative are the Wardleys spirulina discs.
Won't eat it. I even tried breaking it up in little pieces and it just spit it out. I can't force it to feed on it. The algae wafers are usually scooped up by the hermit crabs and cleaner shrimps first.

..... try using the powerhead as suggested. It will increase the level of oxygen and tangs love swimming against it.
I repeat. 4 Maxijet 1200s. 2 Seio 1500s. One of the Maxijets is directed at the surface. Lots of current, IMHO. Lots of O2, IMHO.

If your skimmer is weak, ....
The skimmer is weak in that it produces little skimmate. What I get in skimmate in 4 weeks a EuroReef would produce in half a day. But that's another issue in and of it's self.

Snappy
03-10-2006, 05:38 AM
Won't eat it. I even tried breaking it up in little pieces and it just spit it out. I can't force it to feed on it. The algae wafers are usually scooped up by the hermit crabs and cleaner shrimps first.

I repeat. 4 Maxijet 1200s. 2 Seio 1500s. One of the Maxijets is directed at the surface. Lots of current, IMHO. Lots of O2, IMHO.

The skimmer is weak in that it produces little skimmate. What I get in skimmate in 4 weeks a EuroReef would produce in half a day. But that's another issue in and of it's self.

Try soaking the nori in garlic extract and eventually they will get a taste for it. My tangs didn't care much for it at first, but ate it with the garlic and now go crazy for the stuff unflavoured. I fold up a strip of it and rubber band it to a small rock, soak it and then drop it in. When they are finished I get my tongs and pull the rock back out. Won't take long before they see the rock and have a Pavlov response.

EmilyB
03-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Yes, it's probably foreign to them...nobody can force you to feed them nori, we are just saying it is good for them. Well, I think so anyway since my YT eats that mostly and has been here seven years.

StirCrazy
03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Don't worry mine won't eat Nori either.. but I do have alot of algae for it to eat and it gets peletts every other night

Steve