PDA

View Full Version : Light timers

Bartman
03-08-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm just using your basic rotary light timers with the coloured pegs for on and off times. I've got 2 so I can do dawn/dusk with my actinics and MH. Does anybody else use something better?

mr_alberta
03-08-2006, 07:04 PM
I use the Garrison Digital timers that Canadian Tire puts on sale every now and then. I've found the Intermatic timers tend to "lose" time after a while.

TheReefGeek
03-08-2006, 07:05 PM
I use a couple different brands of the basic rotary ones, never failed me yet.

There are digital light timers and some that come on controllers, bit $$$ though.

Some have switches that you can flick to keep the light on without screwing up the timer, find one like that, very helpfull I find.

BMW Rider
03-08-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm using a pair of heavy duty outdoor digital timers for my lights. Someday soon I'd like to go to a controller to handle all the timing and other functions for my tank.

Bartman
03-09-2006, 02:35 AM
I see that J&L has some Coralife power centres. Do you recommend one of these or are standard timers fine?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/tlist/wavemakers/wavemakers.php?category_ID=100&category_products_start_item=14&PHPSESSID=99dde6c22f79567363c53a86f8c7c3b2

Pescador
03-09-2006, 03:12 AM
I'm using one of these http://www.digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper.htm. It works great and has a temp probe so you can control fans/chillers and lights depending on temperature. Plus heater control, wavemaker and other stuff. It's more expensive than a regular timer but a lot cheaper than a full controller. They have a newer model that seems to do a lot for the price.

digital-audiophile
03-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Like Ed, I am using heavy duty outdor digital timers that I picked up from Home depot.

- I would be wary of of the coralife timers though. I have read a couple of threads on other marine message boards about them catching on fire :O

i have crabs
03-09-2006, 01:56 PM
i have the coralife digital times and the only thing i dont like is the 2 day plugs tunr on at the same time and when they turn off the 2 night plugs turn on wich is fine but it would be nice if they could overlap a bit.

Bartman
03-09-2006, 11:42 PM
i have the coralife digital times and the only thing i dont like is the 2 day plugs tunr on at the same time and when they turn off the 2 night plugs turn on wich is fine but it would be nice if they could overlap a bit.

I would definitely be looking for something that let me turn on my actinics before my MH and have them turn off later as well (dawn/dusk affect).