PDA

View Full Version : ZEOvit Users - Your experiences?

dirtyreefer
03-06-2006, 05:20 AM
I am considering turning myself into a ZEOhead but would like to hear about local experiences with this product. The only people I've seen on this forum that are using ZEO is Ruth and yifan. Can you guys share your experiences with this product, for example:

1. Positive results and improvements with your SPS and overall health of your tank
2. Negative results
3. Amount of time (e.g per week) it takes in addition to your regular maintenance to adminster and monitor ZEO
4. Costs. I saw what Ruth originally posted about her startup costs. 10 bags of zeoliths etc. How many gallons is one bag good for and how long?

Any responses from experienced users would be appreciated. Thanks.

fishface
10-29-2006, 06:57 PM
bump :)

Ruth
10-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Oh my gosh I had forgotten about this thread. I quite using the Zeovit system on my tank. A large part of this was my frustration trying to get the necessary equipment (reactor) and supplies. I was getting them out of the States and it was a real hassle which just has not subsided.
I believe that now that Proline Aquatics has become the Canadian supplier for this product line it will be a whole pile easier to set up and maintain this system. Jason is and has been great trying to help me get things straightened out with the US supplier and I can only assume that he will continue this great service to his Canadian retailers.
I don't think I can give a fair assessment of this system given that I was never able to fully run it. I do however have faith that it is an excellent product and can work very well. You do have to be diligent with the additives and the daily pumping of the zeolites in the reactor but other than perhaps a bit more testing (which in all truth I should do more often anyway) this system is not that much extra work. I believe given time it will produce excellent results.
I still may run this system on my 100g cube tank if I can ever get my returns to stop leaking and get the sump back on line.
HTH

support@proline
10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Ruth You even have the new reactor & all the additives you should start using it now.:mrgreen:
What is in the cube?
If there is anythiong you need ,You can get all the additives from Hidden reef & soon J&l as well.
Ruth , I know it is PITA when you have to wait a long time for something you paid for & excited to get

Ruth
10-29-2006, 07:47 PM
I probably will Jason - I will just need to get some new zeobac and of course try to figure out the leaks which will probably mean that I have to tear all the plumbing out of the overflow grrrr.
The tank currently has SPS and clams in it and a couple of LPS that are all doing well but I am sure would colour up even more with zeovit.
I only have an ASM G3 skimmer on this system although with the sump off line I am using a Deltec HOB - maybe I can run my BK400 on it if I get that straightened out.
I was originally going to run the zeo system on my 190g but this has turned into a FOWLR (with anemones and mushrooms etc). I had some heat issues this summer on this tank and of course it was without a skimmer so I lost all my SPS in the tank. I had this system built for me and was talked into a 90g sump/fuge - big mistake - as there is not enough clearance between the bottom of the tank and the top of the sump to fit a reactor into. The fish in this tank have also gotten very big and they are all big eaters so I will just be leaving it FO with some softies. This is the home to my Moorish Idol that I have had for a year as well as a large Conspic Angel and an ever growing Goldflake angel and of course a monster Blonde Naso Tang. I don't think this system is ever going to be low nutrient again:mrgreen:

FragFactory
10-29-2006, 08:02 PM
I have been running the system for several months, with Jason's help and my results are breathtaking. Its an amazing system and the results are indisputable. I will be posting some pictures soon, to document the results.

mike

midgetwaiter
10-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Is there a property of the zeovit media that makes the use of the special reactor necessary? It doesn't look like much and I have never been able to find a reason that any other chemical filter (ie phosban reactor) or even a canister wouldn't work.

Jason McK
10-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Is there a property of the zeovit media that makes the use of the special reactor necessary? It doesn't look like much and I have never been able to find a reason that any other chemical filter (ie phosban reactor) or even a canister wouldn't work.

You need to agitate the ZEOlit in the filter. A Zeo reactor has a plunger in it that allows you so agitate the entire media chamber.
I'm sure there are some effective DIY reactors made from common filters but I like my ZEO reactor

J

Ruth
10-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Midgetwaiter I think you could use another kind of devise like a canister filter as long as the flow through it was the proper flow. The real PITA in doing that is that you have to pump the stones daily in order for the mulm to slough off to react with the other additives and to not allow the water that flow through to just make channels. I would think that it would be a real pain to shut off the canister - stir up the stones - and then start it back up again.
I know that you can also run it passively in a filter bag in a lower flow area of your sump and just knead the bag daily. I have done it this way but it does not get the same results as water constantly running over them the way it does in a reactor. The reactors are really pretty simple and if you are handy you could probably build your own.

midgetwaiter
10-29-2006, 10:19 PM
You need to agitate the ZEOlit in the filter. A Zeo reactor has a plunger in it that allows you so agitate the entire media chamber.
I'm sure there are some effective DIY reactors made from common filters but I like my ZEO reactor

So that's what I was missing. Thanks J / Ruth.