PDA

View Full Version : danger question?

dunl
03-05-2006, 01:51 AM
My 250w MH blubl exploded the other day, but only the glass casing....

Is it possible to run the light without the glass surrounding the filament? Or advisable, maybe I should ask?

Thanks,
Dunl

McNasty
03-05-2006, 01:54 AM
IF you dont mind sun burnt fish, other wise I would advise to replace imed.

dunl
03-05-2006, 01:58 AM
How does the glass keep the fish from being sunburnt? Isn't it just clear glass that surrounds the filament?

dirtyreefer
03-05-2006, 02:13 AM
That is the UV shield that keeps your fish, corals, and you (your eyes and skin if working in the tank) from getting burnt.

dunl
03-05-2006, 02:16 AM
Darn....was hoping I could run it while I got a replacement.

Thanks for the heads up.
Dunl

PS. How about self-tanning? I'm looking a little whitish lately..... :lol:

fishmanty
03-05-2006, 02:18 AM
PS. How about self-tanning? I'm looking a little whitish lately..... :lol:

Come on, be honest... a bit whitish?
How about Extremely White :P

dunl
03-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Hey...us teacher's don't get outside in the sun from November to March. :)

Bob I
03-05-2006, 02:27 AM
If you are a teacher you would surely know that the plural of teacher is teachers, not the possesive teacher's.:razz: And if we were to be picky we would say "we teachers", not us.

albert_dao
03-05-2006, 02:40 AM
Maybe he teaches sex-ed?

Anyway, if you don't run with the glass shield, expect another explosion. Recall that the oils on your hand alone can cause a lot of ruckus. Now factor salt spray into the equation.

G1GY
03-05-2006, 06:02 AM
Hey...us teacher's don't get outside in the sun from November to March. :)

That wouldn't be because lack of vacation time! :lol:

EmilyB
03-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Says a lot about the education system. Nobody cares about spelling and punctuation anymore.:cry:

adidas
03-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Says a lot about the education system. Nobody cares about spelling and punctuation anymore.:cry:

sure they do, just not on internet chat forums lol

albert_dao
03-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Yup, I call clownfish Nemo's.

dunl
03-06-2006, 04:37 AM
If you are a teacher you would surely know that the plural of teacher is teachers, not the possesive teacher's.:razz: And if we were to be picky we would say "we teachers", not us.

And when we haven't had a few beers, we usually remember that. :lol:

Maybe he teaches sex-ed?

Nope, but I can if it's needed. Give me a call when you get old enough, Albert. :razz:

As for a secondary explosion, the MH I got was a homemade setup, no UV shield. What actually exploded was the glass of the bulb, not a shield. So right now I have just the bare filament in the fixture, nothing else.

Bartman
03-06-2006, 07:42 AM
As for a secondary explosion, the MH I got was a homemade setup, no UV shield. What actually exploded was the glass of the bulb, not a shield. So right now I have just the bare filament in the fixture, nothing else.

I think what the others had mentioned is that the glass of the bulb IS the UV shield. It also protects you and your watery friends from dangerous high voltages. I wouldn't turn it on. I would also disconnect the fixture from all power sources before attempting to remove the damaged light. BTW, J&L has a 15% off sale on new bulbs this month. ;)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-06-2006, 08:01 AM
If it's a single ended bulb & you don't want to cut yourself, stab the jagged end into a potato & then you can twist the potato to get the broken bulb out.

dunl
03-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I heard about the potatoe one before, but forgot about it until you mentioned it. :)

Gizmo
03-07-2006, 12:46 AM
If it's a single ended bulb & you don't want to cut yourself, stab the jagged end into a potato & then you can twist the potato to get the broken bulb out.

Just make sure the power is off first. :S My sister being the bright child that she is decided to take a broken bulb out with a potato, but neglected to turn off the juice. The house smelt like fried potatoes for a few days after that. ;)

Invigor
03-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Just make sure the power is off first. :S My sister being the bright child that she is decided to take a broken bulb out with a potato, but neglected to turn off the juice. The house smelt like fried potatoes for a few days after that. ;)

bahaha, that's a good one ;)