PDA

View Full Version : What sand for remote DSB

Bartman
03-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Howdy,

I'm thinking of putting a remote DSB on my new 75G. I've read that you can use regular silica play sand without silica, or other, issues. Has anyone used this? Any comments or experience?

mark
03-05-2006, 02:06 AM
might want to take at here http://www.marinedepot.com/FORUMS/Topic20039-13-1.aspx (was posted before) and link within

TheReefGeek
03-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Silica sand will work, but not as well as aragonite because of the angular, not round shape.

Might want to get a silica test kit to monitor the tank, although I have read that silica leeching is overstated and not really a problem.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-05-2006, 08:01 AM
I was under the impression that silicates contribute to diatom blooms? Did I hear/read wrong about this? Isn't the aragonite used to also increase calcium in the water for the corals?

TheReefGeek
03-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, aragonite is a better choice, but more expensive. For a Remote DSB, many people already have an aragonite sand bed in their display tank. Silicate leeching is what may cause diatom and other algae blooms, but this is apparantly somewhat of a myth according to a large thread on RC. I would still monitor using a silicate test kit to be sure.

mark
03-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Ar least aragonite as is dissolves will add calcium to tank

TheReefGeek
03-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Very slowly, yes. But you still should suppliment properly (buffers, calc reactor, kalk reactor).

The point of an RDSB is to be a cheap way to hopefully decrease nitrates, but if you can afford aragonite, go for it, it is a better choice for sure.

Bartman
03-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Has anyone here actually done this (RDSB) yet? Just wondering what results, pitfalls, experience you might be able to share.

TheReefGeek
03-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I have been following the very large thread on RC, and there have been people who have experienced drops in nitrates, and a few people here on CanReef have gotten posative results as well. It takes about 4 weeks or more for those who have seen results.

As for pitfalls:

1. Don't overdue your bulkheads (too much flow)
2. Cover the pail so you minimize algae growth in the bucket
3. Put a larger grain sand on top so your sand doesn't blow around
4. Input water should be pre-filtered so you dont get waste build up in your bucket, skimmer output works well

mark
03-06-2006, 04:45 PM
A remote DSB can also be just be partitioned section in your sump with sand. Get some critters (pods) or macroalgea and your sump is now also a refugium.

You'll probably find that more common, successful and beneficial than a 5g pail full of sand.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/refugium.htm

TheReefGeek
03-06-2006, 04:49 PM
That would be a bit different, but as long as the sand bed is at least 8" deep you should get the same benefits.