PDA

View Full Version : Refugium or skimmer upgrade?

IJC
03-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm currently running a redsea berlin turbo skimmer in the section of my sump where my overflow runs in, the centre section is empty. I'm considering two options: 1. turn the centre section of the sump into a refugium, or; 2. upgrade to a euroreef skimmer, which would need to sit in the centre section due to space constraints.

The berlin skimmer does pull crud out, but it takes a lot of adjusting to keep it producing foam, and I know a euroreef would be much more effective (any opinions on the magnitude of this difference?). On the other hand, I do like the idea and potential benfits of a fuge.

My tank is currently in the break-in stage with only live rock, and a few snails/hermits. I want to optimize the system before I get into building up my livestock.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Check out ASM skimmers. OA has them & they're giving people very positive results. Very similar in design to Euro-reef but less expensive materials & waaaay cheaper.

Anthony

IJC
03-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I have read this about the ASM, however, the CS-80 at J&L and the ASM G-1 at OA, are the same price. My display is 50 gallons, with a 25 gallon sump, so I'm assuming that either would be sufficient - am I missing something?

TheReefGeek
03-04-2006, 09:30 PM
For 75 gallons, the Berlin Skimmer should be good enough, once it is tweaked correctly, it should not require constant tuning, only if you change your water level or put in addatives and such.

But, an ASM or Euro would be better of course.

I would stick with the Berlin, and add a fuge, this is just personal preference.

IJC
03-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Thanks - yeah I think I'm leaning towards the refugium, but I'm still thinking about it... A system with a nice skimmer and a bare sump seems more "clean".

TheReefGeek
03-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Yep, it all depends what you like/want. Both systems can work well. Using both is of course even better if you can do it, but you need the space obviously.