PDA

View Full Version : New Flame Angel Twitching!

OCDP
03-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Oh man.. I have such bad luck with new fish , I don't get this.

I acclimated my new Flame for over an hour,, or an hour exactly.. using a drip, the equivelant of one turkey baste per every 15 minutes.. I doubled the LFS bag water, and put him in. He went to the back corner of the tank.. and is still there. (which seemed normal anyways..)

Now he's twitching!!!! :twised: ... anyone know why? I can't afford to lose this fish, as this is the most I have spent on one and I have lost too many fish IMO.. I thought I did everything right and by the books... he seemed 100% okay in the bucket, and seemed great in transit. The only times he looked stressed was when I accidently spooked him...

Please help :( it's such a beautiful fish, and I really would feel horrible if I lost yet another fish...

Thanks,
Scott

OCDP
03-04-2006, 01:39 AM
It's just a quick twitch.. that's it. I turned the lights out an hour or so ago to lessen any possible stress. (or would that cause more?)
It has no ich, anything at all... both myself and LFS employee (a good LFS just to note) inspected the fish and it looked very healthy.
I hope it doesnt croak on me overnight :(

Just noting everything.. (have another RC thread)

G1GY
03-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Probably just stress.

People can twitch also when the stress gets to be too much. All you can do is wait and hope for the best.

digital-audiophile
03-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Did you get him from Oceans today? If you did I think I was there ;)

OCDP
03-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Yup I did.. were you the tallish guy in the black jacket? On a phone perhaps?

Anyways.. yes I did get it from Oceans.. it's a beauty of a fish.

I am praying this fish makes it... it's definitely a favourite already.

digital-audiophile
03-04-2006, 02:43 AM
That was me indeed. :D

PS - you beat me to that fish, I saw him on my first pass around the store and was debating if I wanted to take the chance on an angel in a reef tank. (with the loss of my sixline I want to add something different) He is a beautiful fish! I hope he turns out ok.

OCDP
03-04-2006, 03:33 AM
Hahah.. I was the small guy in the winter coat... look like a 13 year old, but really am a 19 year old.. yeahhhhh, whoooo.

anyways.. I am hoping that he turns out okay.. there was a smaller one for a cheaper price, but it had ick, so I told the guy and he put him in QT.. I took the bigger one .. so let's hope for him!

Kryten
03-04-2006, 04:22 AM
Hope your fish is ok. What's the price on a Flame angel in Calgary these days?

OCDP
03-04-2006, 04:30 AM
PM'd you.....

midgetwaiter
03-04-2006, 11:00 AM
The twitching could be a couple things. If he is rubbing on something when he does it you have about a 90% chance that some kind of parasite is the problem. Sorry. Is he in a QT or in your reef?

If not it could still be a parasite but it could also just be a Flame angel being wierd. They are tough fish but don't take to moving around very well, if you keep him a month you'll have hime for years.

Either way keep a really close eye on this one. Because of the other angel in the store having ick I'd really suspect that is what is going on here. You might not have been able to see anything on him but you can be pretty sure that he and the sick one came from the same place and probably at the same time. Having said that, think really hard before taking any drastic measures he may recover just fine. If you didn't QT him make sure to watch your other livestock as well.

OCDP
03-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks Midget.

He's not rubbing against or on anything.. so it doesn't appear that it's trying to scratch something off.

Now that you've brought it to my attention, you're probably right.. both fish came from the same place, soooo.... therefore I will wait until he comes out and attempt to feed with some garlic soaked mysis and flakes, just to keep him full and strong. It did make it through the night at least... but then again it really doesn't appear to be doing bad... it just twitches.

I did not QT.. shame on me, I know.. I really should have one. (how many times have you heard that one?)

(PS: My YWG slept with the flame last night.. pretty funny, seeing as my goby is a big grump and keeps to himself.)

*edit* - PPS: The Flame is coming out more and more... whoo hoo, he looks pretty darn good, and seems to be doing fairly well (for now) So at least this gives me the opportunity to keep on top of things (ie: feed with garlic, minimal stress, water changes for pristine conditions , etc..)

OCDP
03-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Whoo Hoo. Update. :multi:

I've done a 2.5g water change for now, the fish just kept to the back and seemed fine during it. I made sure I didn't spook the fish too much either. (I'll do another 2.5g water change tomorrow morning) About 10 minutes ago I fed the tank a mix of Spirulina (sp?) And another brand of flakes , I think it's called new life spectrum. I also put a little mysis into the mix, as well as some garlic extract. The fish was cautious at first, but in no time came and pigged out big time! I was very pleased... I haven't seen it twitch for quite a while now either.

Skimmerking
03-04-2006, 10:41 PM
No scotty don't worry about it man. the twiching is nothing turn off the lights as stated and relax the little guy he will get over it too..

Mine did the same thing

mike

OCDP
03-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks Mike.

The only reason I worry is because I've had some bad luck with new fish, they always seem to croak, no matter what I do. So I'm pleased things are looking up is all!

OCDP
03-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Nevermind :( I just took a look and I see 2 ick spots near the gill. :twised:

Guess my house will be stinking like Garlic for the next couple weeks.

Myanth
03-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Sorry to hear about the ich. I got a coral beauty from OA in Calgary about a month ago and it had ich. I had some major problems. I lost some nice fish. Set up a QT and do the treatments. Let the tank go fallow. I regret not doing the same. Please learn from my mistakes as those flames are beautiful fish.

Good luck.
Mike

OCDP
03-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Update? (for all of those who care)

Still alive.. eating like a pig. Cross your fingers for me.... I am going to continue daily garlic feedings and frequent water changes until I feel things are back to normal.

*edit* Should have noted. The fish still shows some ick spots. But I haven't seen any more than two at a time. I am hoping that continuous garlic feedings and great water paramaters clear things up. It's the only fish showing signs of ick. So let's just hope it's that "newly acclimated" ick that goes away within a few days.

J Feez
03-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Definately keep the updates coming. As soon as I feel my tank is established enough, a flame angel is absolutely going to be my center piece fish! Any info as how to keep these guys will be more than helpful!

OCDP
03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I'll be sure to keep updating... the ick problem however... I shouldn't have it to begin with and I know I should have a QT set up. It's been crossing my mind to find just a 10g at least and stick on the floor in my room to QT, we'll see though. If things worsen, then I may have to set something up.

I'll post back my experiences so far with the fish, it has been nipping. But not at anything important... the only thing he likes is a single frag of digitata, and that's it (for now I know) he hasn't touched any of my other digitata though haha ... :confused:

J Feez
03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I have an 8 gallon tank (i believe) that you can just have if you want. It's just taking up space in my house. It literally is just the glass though. No top or anything to go with it.

I guess it's not that big of a deal if he's eating that piece of digitata as long as it isn't your favorite!