PDA

View Full Version : How to capture a Yellow Watchman Goby.

OCDP
03-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, I have been thinking of removing the watchman goby.. for a few reasons. It saddens me to have to say goodbye, seeing as this is the fish I have had the longest in my reef... he's a tank alright.

The reasons for wanting to remove him ...I plan on going BB in the near future and it wouldn't be fair to this fish to not have sand to make a home in. And lastly, I rarely see this fish and in 20g's of water, I like to have active fish.

I know he's a PIG, if he smells food, he comes out... so in my head I'm thinking of possibly putting something with food in it, and bait him out... now take into consideration this tank is 20g, and I dont' have much room to fool around with.. it's a tight squeeze.. and ultimately I want to remove the fish without tearing apart the tank.... suggestions anyone?

Delphinus
03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
My suggestions: Perseverence ... maybe two nets (one as a diversion) ... or a fish trap.

lil_clownfish13
03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
put a glass jar in the tank with some frozen food in it... when he goes in to get it (not seeing its a jar :p) then slip the net over the opening-- this seems to work for catching my african cichlids which are fast lil buggers too! :) best of luck

OCDP
03-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys,

I think I'll try the jar method first, as I know this fish is a huge pig. That will be option #1.

Wish me luck guys... and I may be back for a few more suggestions haha (hopefully not)

Joe Reefer
03-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I used a very small fly fishing hook with a yellow headed goby. He was in QT within 2 mins of starting.

MobyDick
03-03-2006, 07:09 PM
When I'm getting a fish out of my 20 gal nano I leave the net in there untill they get used to it...Usally a week or so after he is not so scared put the bait in the net and pull him out...I had to catch a clown last week and he was a riot!

Murminator
03-03-2006, 07:15 PM
He was in QT within 2 mins of starting.
1ST minute he was on the floor 2ND minute he was in QT :razz:

Joe Reefer
03-04-2006, 04:58 PM
1ST minute he was on the floor 2ND minute he was in QT :razz:

Maybe 10 seconds, I grabed him pretty quick. :razz: