PDA

View Full Version : Substrate question

Bartman
03-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to setup my new 75G and I'm trying to decide what to do about substrate. I like the idea of a BB tank but I'm not sure I like the look. I was thinking of going with a 1" base but I'm wondering if it will just be a detritus trap (easy to collect debris and not deep enough to process it properly). Also, If I do this I'm wondering what size substrate to get. My return probably provides about 700gph to the top of the tank and my Tunze has about 1100gph at it's highest speed. I'd like to go with the smallest stuff that won't get blown around. Any suggestions?

Bartman
03-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi again,

What I was thinking of doing is putting eggcrate on the bottom, as a base for my rock, and then putting the 1" substrate in to cover it. Does that make sense?

DanG
03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
If you're going to go with 1" of substrate, then IMO, eggcrate is a good idea, that way your rocks aren't directly on the glass.
You could also go with a fake sandbed. Get a sheet of starboard, cover it with a thin layer of epoxy and cover it in sand. It gives the look of BB, without the sand to blow around.

mark
03-03-2006, 02:33 PM
In the rush to set up my new tank did it BB (bare glass) and in my opinion and for my tank it looks the sh*ts. If going BB suggesting to go either faux sand or starboard type stuff. Also don't forget by going BB can't get that neat shrimp/gobie pair.

My plan was alway to place in a 1" sugar size bed and have a remote DSB in the sump or refuge and this is still in the works.

On my first tank did similar to what your suggesting, eggcrate platforms for the rock and back fill with sand. Seemed to work well and considering the DSB was in the display, it saved me from burying 4-5" of rock.

Aquattro
03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I set up my 75 as a BB and I love it. I took a bit to get used to, but after you get some coralline growing and fill the tank in a bit, it looks fine. The amount of crud I am able to siphon off the bottom glass weekly is enough to convince me to never use a sand bed again.

Beverly
03-03-2006, 02:52 PM
I fully agree with everything Brad said. Took some getting used to, but siphon out so much crud weekly, that I could not go back to having all that crud accumulate in my tanks indefinitely.

mr_alberta
03-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I actually like the ultra clean look of rock on glass. I used to have starboard in my previous tank but found that I would get crud stuck between the bottom of the starboard and the glass.

I do recommend starboad though (especially white). It makes the tank so much brighter. Also, a lot of people still think its sand. I've had a few reefers ask me how I keep my sand so flat before! :lol:

Bartman
03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Where's a good place to look at starboard? Does Home Depot or Rona carry it?

mr_alberta
03-03-2006, 05:27 PM
How large of a piece are you looking for? Most plastics shops sell it (called HDPE - High Density PolyEthylene). Its exactly the same thing as plastic cutting board.

Beverly
03-03-2006, 05:34 PM
I used to have starboard in my previous tank but found that I would get crud stuck between the bottom of the starboard and the glass.

To prevent crud from getting under the starboard, is there some way to seal the edges of the starboard to the sides of the tank?

DanG
03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you'd be able to silicone it to the sides, it may just take a slightly wider bead to fill the gap.

Bartman
03-04-2006, 08:23 AM
The amount of crud I am able to siphon off the bottom glass weekly is enough to convince me to never use a sand bed again.

I get what you mean here but I don't think I'm ready to go BB yet. On the other hand is 1" of substrate just going to become a crud collector? Would a remote DSB help?

mark
03-04-2006, 01:41 PM
A remote DSB won't help with debris in the main just used to help check the nitrates.

Sand in the main can be kept clean by good flow so crud is in suspension and carried to the overflow. Also if running a shallow bed, vacuuming isn't a issue (as opposed to disturbing a DSB).

Aquattro
03-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I have a 75g with 6000gph flow, and I get plenty of crud settling. Good flow will not prevent detritus buildup in the sandbed.

albert_dao
03-04-2006, 04:30 PM
You won't be able to silicone the starboard to the bottom properly from what I've read. Silicone doesn't like plastic much over the long run.

Anyway, another option is just to spraypaint the bottom of the tank white.

Chin_Lee
03-04-2006, 06:30 PM
if you are contemplating on BB or substrate, go BB first. If you still don't like it after a few months, then add substrate. Otherwise its a PITA to do it the other way around.
I concur with the BB supporters - crud is inevitable and I feel that sand just hides it really well. some critters in your live sand will eat some of the crud but you will never have enough critters to sustain an aquarium environment's bio-load.
I can relate to this theory by this scenario - imagine yourself and your entire family being stuck in your house without any methods in which to remove your biological waste but a mysterious hand will continuously put food and water into your house to keep you alive. You are real happy for the most part because there's the big screen TV, computer, workout gym, various boardgames etc. However everyone dreads having to go to the bathroom but when they do, how many critters will be needed to live with you in your house to continuously eat and remove all that biological waste in your house? HOWEVER if that same mysterious hand can come in with a plastic tube and suck out all that biological waste, I think it will be somewhat ........ alright. :cry:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Great story Chin. Is that one you told to Kohan last night via long distance?

BTW, just set up the dual 65g reef systems with a very thin layer of sand (am resigned to vacuuming out crud). (Pics are on BCAquaria since I can't seem to get pics to post here)

Anthony

Bartman
03-04-2006, 07:25 PM
BTW, just set up the dual 65g reef systems with a very thin layer of sand (am resigned to vacuuming out crud). (Pics are on BCAquaria since I can't seem to get pics to post here)

Anthony

Are you able to vacuum out crud without sucking the sand out too? I do this with my FW tanks all the time but the substrate is pebbles, not sand.

Beverly
03-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Chin,

Love your story :biggrin: Especially about the parts about the big screen TV and computer, and all the free food :biggrin:

All kidding aside, though, Chin's story is a pretty good analogy.

Doug
03-04-2006, 09:19 PM
:lol: Chin, thats priceless. In all the dsb/bare discussions, thats the best version I have heard. :smile:

witweew
04-29-2008, 03:47 AM
yea, for workout music, you basically need hard-hitting euro-dance music.... nothing else does the job

really. Search around on iTunes for "euro club hits" or check this link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol

bv_reefer
04-29-2008, 04:28 AM
hi noticed this thread about BB tanks, i just took my sand out and personally like the look so far, as for siphoning without taking sand out, nope, a bit will get lost every water change. so far 3 weeks and getting nice little dots of coralline all over the place. however you gotta consider what fish you'll have, alot of wrasses prefer/need sand to hide/sleep in at night, so something to consider. however maintenance wise i'm finding it ALOT easier you can clean all around the rocks, silicone, crevices, etc. good luck on the tank build :biggrin: