PDA

View Full Version : Kalk dosing....

DJ88
12-13-2001, 02:15 PM
Well it has been a week since I took my Kalk reactor off the system..

It is going back on. I was getting great grwoth of corraline algae. Not anymore..

As well my skimmer doesn't seem to be pulling the gunk out as much. But that can be attributed to other things..

So back on it goes..

Anyone else here use both? Kalk and a Ca reactor?

reefburnaby
12-13-2001, 02:41 PM
Hi,

I sort of run both right now. I am slowly easing off my kalk dosing from my system and just running straight reactor.

Coraline slowdown...is this with CA reactor + kalk or just CA reactor...

Skimmer is more efficient at higher pH.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

DJ88
12-13-2001, 05:08 PM
Just Ca reactor..

pH hasn't changed in eons. Goes bewteen 8.2 and 8.3 daily..

Other than taking the Kalk reactor out nothing in the system has been altered.

reefburnaby
12-13-2001, 05:45 PM
Hi,

Hmmm..pH should drop a bit when the kalk reactor is removed. Kalk adds OH- (basically increases pH) and Ca++. Anyway, I think that affects the skimmer.

Ca reactors drop pH...so it also should have moved in the same direction (down). Hmmm...maybe its the alk...not sure why your pH isn't dropping. How are you measuring pH ?

Coraline...I think your reef is reacting to your sudden shift between kalk and reactor...maybe it just needs more time.

Say...have you bought actinics from Albrite before ? I was quoted a $13 a piece for a 4'.

- Victor.

DJ88
12-13-2001, 05:50 PM
Yeah I have bought some from albrite.. that is a good price. as far as I was paying.. $18.

well it did drop from 8.4 down to where it sits now.. 8.18.... Knew that was coming.

So I exagggerated a bit.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

titus
12-14-2001, 11:53 PM
Hello,

Two comments:
1) Ca reactor can maintain dkH levels and buffers pH. I'm sure both of you know this.

2) As usual, there's always some stupid thing creating some dark evil force to screw things up.

Shadetree
12-15-2001, 01:07 AM
Darren,

Judging by your pictures you get GREAT growth by using both. Why did you pull it off in the first place?

Scott

PS I will be in touch regarding the used Iwasaki bulb.

DJ88
12-15-2001, 04:58 AM
Titus..

Yeah I know.. Both.. lol.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Scott,

Was curious.. lol.. wanted to see if there was a difference.. Or would be a difference.

Want it back on now.. lol

Talk to ya soon..